Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Getting a lot of spam email

txrattlertxrattler Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
in Email Sep 14, 2020

I have been noticing that the volume of spam has been increasing day by day for the last couple of weeks now. Is anyone else experiencing this? Please confirm.

It's the usual phishing type emails posing as legit companies, CVS MacAfee, Walmart, Sams Club etc.

Also, does anyone know if Spectrum is aware of this?

TIA

Comments

• TheOptiMysticTheOptiMystic Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Sep 15, 2020

I can confirm. The same thing is happening to me, with the same type of emails. Unfortunately, it seems like my Spectrum email accounts always seem to get hit with this stuff from time to time, even back to Time Warner before the merger.

I just don't understand how their spam filters are missing all these, especially when you repeatedly mark and report them as such.

• OhioGuyOhioGuy Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Sep 15, 2020

Here are the filters I've created in Spectrum's webmail server for my account in an effort to auto-delete spam messages from nefarious domain names:

• Pearson200Pearson200 Posts: 2
    Sep 15, 2020

Yes, the volume of spam email has increased considerably the past few weeks. I'm annoyed that Spectrum can't do a better job of filtering these emails before reaching us.

• txrattlertxrattler Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Sep 16, 2020

Yeah this happens quite frequently on Spectrum .... it ramps up and gets really, really bad and then goes a way.

The last time the onslaught lasted at least 3 months and last year it was even worse. I tried filters at the time (and it did work) the only problem was had I to keep adding domains to the filters, as the spammers started changing the domain names and it grew too large and unmanageable. My solution was to create a new folder "inbox2" and whitelist(filter) family and friends to inbox2, in other words, my inbox was transformed to a spam/junk email folder and inbox2 had legitimate emails, not great but it was all I could come up with.

Anyway, thanks everyone for confirming. I expect this will continue unabated for months. We'll be lucky if anyone at Spectrum is even aware of this, let alone escalate and have their tech guys look into it.

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,711 helper
    edited September 16 Sep 16, 2020

Personally,

I would not recommend Spectrum Email. This is because of the spam issue described above. In fact, I am not a fan of any ISP based email. I would recommend switching to a web-based e-mail provider. Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Outlook.com are free, cloud-based and will be with you for the rest of your life. They are updated more often than Spectrum Mail, and many customers, once they have switched to web-based email have never looked back.

You will need a solid ad-blocker. Yahoo Mail recognizes all the ad-blockers (makes you turn off your ad-blocker) except for this gem of an email ad-blocker from programmer and web-developer Jason Savard. His own email ad blocker:

Open up this link and get Jason's email adblocker for each of your web browsers on his home page.. It works with Yahoo Mail, Gmail, and Outlook.com. https://jasonsavard.com/

Three notes:

1.) I have not used Jason's other extensions, just his web-mail blocker

2.) The webmail blocker only works with webmail. It will not interfere with other Internet ad-blockers. My favorite Ad Blocker, after using Ad Block Plus for years is now Ghostery. Right out the box it does a wonderful job of blocking Internet ads and Third-Party web traffic. https://www.ghostery.com/

I have since uninstalled Ad Block Plus. Too RAM heavy, and sometimes it was letting crap get through.

3.) Both extensions come recommended by the major browser companies. Use either Microsoft Edge Chromium. Firefox, or Google Chrome. Dump Internet Explorer. That browser is full of security holes.

Satch

• EddieAEddieA Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 16, 2020

Well, if the comment on dslreports and the linked article are true, don't hold your breath expecting Spectrum to block them.

They're being sent out by an e-mail service that Spectrum uses and the mails contain a code which basically whitelists them through Spectrum's network.

• txrattlertxrattler Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Sep 18, 2020

Just my two cents, switching to "FREE" email services provided by Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, as someone recommended, may be ok for some but not for me.

For two reasons, first, these services are NOT free, turns out that your personal data and privacy are far more valuable than you would think. Data brokers, marketers and advertisers pay handsomely for this information and this is how the free service is paid for. Again, some may consider this a fair trade.

Secondly, all three have had massive data breaches over the years, Yahoo being the most massive, so from a security perspective they have not fared as well as one would expect. Phishers and scammers usually target the big boys first ... because the payoff is bigger.

For sure, the Web UI in all three providers is faster and better than the painfully slow and aged UI of the Spectrum web client but this can easilly avoided by using a decent email client like Thunderbird or the client app on a smartphone. I use both and the service works fine me.

• KhalidKhalid Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    Sep 20, 2020

Yes, I can also confirm that issue. My spam folder now has 53 messages accumulated since Sep. 4, so, in 14 days, 53 spam messages have been received. i.e., close to 4 spam received per day. When I see these spam messages, though I use Thunderbird or Gmail on my phone, I have to login to the Spectrum Web based email, copy the domain from the spam email, add it to the blocked list of domains and mark the email as spam, hoping (actually as I was told by Spectrum tech support) that this helps their filters block future spam. Now, my blocked domain list has hundreds of domains since spammers keep changing their domains. Since I still receive these spam mails at this rate, that proves that Spectrum is doing nothing nor are they reading ANY of the community postings. They have a facebook community at https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum which I posted a message to last year and this year. They do respond there and they apologize and say they're working on it. In short, they do nothing, and the issue keeps getting worse. This spam issue is happening when we are PAYING money to a service provider. I pay for Internet and phone (cut the cable cord early this summer). So, I'm paying money for horrible email service, and a phone that just keeps receiving spam calls all the time!!. Tell me dear Spectrum support: Why do I still have you as the ISP??? Of course, none of you will read these messages!!. Sorry for my rants, but this is getting way out of wack!!.