Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Why am I getting a delay in email messages being delivered?

SpecewSpecew Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Email Sep 18, 2020

I am encountering issues with websites attempting to send me an email message to confirm my identity, confirm my account, etc. - many times, the code being sent via email needs to be entered within 30 minutes or less. I am not receiving the code with the email in it until way past the 30 minute time frame -- many times I receive the code hours later. For instance, yesterday I had to confirm my account with a sign in code - I requested the code at 4:25pm. A verification email that contained the sign-in code was sent to my Spectrum email address. The email with the sign-in code showed up at 5:01am today - way past the 30 minutes limit I had to enter it. The sender of the code has been placed on my safe sender list (both on the outlook app I use on my desk top and also on the Spectrum webmail site). These emails do not show up in my junk folder - when they do show up they do so in my inbox. I have no storage issues with my Spectrum webmail - I have plenty of space and only use a minimum amount. Also, I am seeing no delays when I send emails. Anyone have any answers.

Replies

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 19, 2020

Could be getting stuck in queue from the sender's end... may be worth reaching out to their support team just in case.

Used to run into this a lot back in the day with Exchange servers. If it was just a hiccup and not a direct error response, the sever would stick it in queue for retries. Many were not aware of the default scheme. First would have something like a 5 minute delay, then 15 minutes after that failed attempt, etc. It would go through tiered delayed attempts until it reached something like a 12 hour delayed attempt before kicking it back as undeliverable... but by then more than 24 hours had passed.

• SpecewSpecew Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 20, 2020

Thank you for trying to help. I did reach out to the support team at the site where I am currently experiencing this problem. There doesn't seem to be a problem at the sender's end -- the problem appears to be with Spectrum and deferring or delaying emails. After going back and forth numerous times, they suggested I provide another email address from another provider. Per their suggestion and with their help, they changed my email address to use another email I had at another provider (they had to change the email on my account since I couldn't access my account since I couldn't verify it because I wasn't receiving the sign-in code in a timely manner via the Spectrum email). When they did this , I received the email with the sign-in code within a few minutes (to the other provider''s email) - used the code and it worked. I can only assume that for some reason Spectrum is delaying or deferring emails containing these verification codes.

Thanks again for trying to help. I appreciate it. This experience has been very frustrating.

• HollyRHollyR Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 21, 2020

I've also had this problem. Today, in fact. It's almost as though Spectrum WANTS to eliminate the email service that has been around for decades, by making it so difficult to have a NORMAL email experience that we finally give up and close our account!!! :(