Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Spectrum 201 and 210 DVR

RK7777RK7777 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 22 in TV Equipment Sep 21, 2020

Do you miss the Motorola DVR interface?

2 weeks after switching from an old Motorola to the new Spectrum 210 box and trying really hard to like it, I must say... I miss the Motorola DVR for so many reasons. The 210 remote is slow to respond and the software interface is cumbersome, requiring additional steps for simple tasks. There is no channel or clock display on the front panel (despite having the option to select one OR the other when programing it). In the Menu, you cannot select the type of Sport (or Movie, etc)you would like to watch, nor the sequence of future events. To jump a day requires at least 3 additional steps. There is only one cumbersome, multi step, way to record a series AND it does not allow to limit the number of recordings on the series to keep. Thus, you may end up having to go back and delete to avoid filling up the DVR. There is no Live button option. There are only a few things that I like (better picture) but, overall, it has been a painful switch. I can't believe that the Spectrum team did not thoroughly test the 210 DVR. I am hoping for a software upgrade ASAP otherwise,...please bring the Motorola back.

RK

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,746 helper
    Sep 21, 2020

Do you miss the Motorola DVR interface?

2 weeks after switching from an old Motorola to the new Spectrum 210 box and trying really hard to like it, I must say... I miss the Motorola DVR for so many reasons. The 210 remote is slow to respond and the software interface is cumbersome, requiring additional steps for simple tasks. There is no channel or clock display on the front panel (despite having the option to select one OR the other when programing it). In the Menu, you cannot select the type of Sport (or Movie, etc)you would like to watch, nor the sequence of future events. To jump a day requires at least 3 additional steps. There is only one cumbersome, multi step, way to record a series AND it does not allow to limit the number of recordings on the series to keep. Thus, you may end up having to go back and delete to avoid filling up the DVR. There is no Live button option. There are only a few things that I like (better picture) but, overall, it has been a painful switch. I can't believe that the Spectrum team did not thoroughly test the 210 DVR. I am hoping for a software upgrade ASAP otherwise,...please bring the Motorola back.

RK

Sup RK?

For searching, on the new Spectrum Guide is it possible to key in the sport on the keyboard that you want to watch, (i.e baseball) and than be presented with a list of games? In my area, we were a legacy TWC market, and have a guide called ODN Navigator. It is a good guide on modern boxes. But if you are in a legacy Charter market, you probably had a guide called Passport or I-Guide, which a lot of customers really liked..

If you can provide us with a screenshot of your guide's search screen and what you are trying to find using the new Spectrum Guide, our community members can help you with the search. There is some good news though:

You can go to the store and request one of the older remotes! They should work with Spectrum Guide, and will bring back some of the experiences of your Motorola Box. (You will still have to program the remote to work with the On/Off Volume functions of your TV- Check online for the make and model of the new remote for programing instructions) but the remote should come with instructions. The new Spectrum Guide remotes only work on the new World Boxes though, but a lot of customers don't like the new remotes compared to the older ones.

If going back to the old remote is not enough, you might want to go to a Spectrum Store, and ask if they still have a box with a clock. The new World Boxes don't have clocks, because modern receivers are going without clocks, as most people look at their computers, devices, or ask Alexa, "What Time is it?" I can see why the clocks were dropped. If you have DVR service on your World Box, and you switch to a clock box, you will be dropped down from 4 four to two tuners,

One question, why did you switch boxes in the first place? Oh, and were are you located please? (City, State, and Zip.) This can help our community detect what equipment is available at your location..

You are also welcome to leave your Feedback about the New Spectrum Guide. Best way to do that is to get a Twitter account or log into Twitter. Go to and follow the @AskSpectrum page and follow that account. Send a Direct (Private Message) with your account information about what features you would like to see added to the new guide. Request that your feedback goes to the Development Team.

Satch

• RK7777RK7777 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 21, 2020

THANKS SATCH, I WILL RESPOND IN LINE

For searching, on the new Spectrum Guide is it possible to key in the sport on the keyboard that you want to watch, (i.e baseball) and than be presented with a list of games?

MY 210 GUIDE ONLY OFFERS ME THE OPTION OF SPORTS AFTER CLICKING GUIDE->OPTIONS-> ARROW V, RT,RT. UNDER SEARCH, I CAN ENTER "SOCCER" AND VIEW WHAT IS AVAILABLE WITHOUT IMMEDIATE INFO. FOR INFO ON CHANNEL, DATES ETC, I MUST ENTER EACH ONE IN SEPARATE. ON THE MOTOROLA INTERFACE ALL GHE INFO WAS RIGHT THERE AT A GLANCE NOW, IN ONE HOUR, NEXT DAYS. THAT MADE IT EASY TO FIND AND RECORD.

In my area, we were a legacy TWC market, and have a guide called ODN Navigator. It is a good guide on modern boxes. But if you are in a legacy Charter market, you probably had a guide called Passport or I-Guide, which a lot of customers really liked.. CAN'T COMMENT ON THE GUIDE NAMES OTHER THAN 210 AND MOTOROLA, SORRY.

If you can provide us with a screenshot of your guide's search screen and what you are trying to find using the new Spectrum Guide, our community members can help you with the search. There is some good news though:

You can go to the store and request one of the older remotes! They should work with Spectrum Guide, and will bring back some of the experiences of your Motorola Box. (You will still have to program the remote to work with the On/Off Volume functions of your TV- Check online for the make and model of the new remote for programing instructions) but the remote should come with instructions. The new Spectrum Guide remotes only work on the new World Boxes though, but a lot of customers don't like the new remotes compared to the older ones. I KEPT MY OLD REMOTES BUT THEY FUNCTION EXACTLY LIKE THE NEW ONE SINCE THE ISSUE IS NOT THE REMOTE BUT THE BOX SOFTWARE INTERFACE. I AM VERY COMFORTABLE WITH THE REMOTE(S) AND THE BOX. I WENT THROUGH ALL INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS AND EXPLORED ALL OPTIONS. I EVEN CALLED TECH SUPPORT :-(.

If going back to the old remote is not enough, you might want to go to a Spectrum Store, and ask if they still have a box with a clock. The new World Boxes don't have clocks, because modern receivers are going without clocks, as most people look at their computers, devices, or ask Alexa, "What Time is it?" I can see why the clocks were dropped. If you have DVR service on your World Box, and you switch to a clock box, you will be dropped down from 4 four to two tuners. I UNDERSTAND, BUT IT WAS SO NICE TO SEE WHAT CHANNEL YOU WERE ON AT A GLANCE WITHOUT HAVING TO PRESS THE INFO BUTTON. THE CLOCK WAS JUST A NICE FEATURE. THE 4 DVRs ARE INDEED AN UPGRADE!

One question, why did you switch boxes in the first place? Oh, and were are you located please? (City, State, and Zip.) This can help our community detect what equipment is available at your location.. I AM AT 91362 (THOUSAND OAKS, CA). THE BOX STOPPED DETECTING SOME OF THE >200s AND PIXELATE. A TECH CAME BY AND RECOMMENDED. ALSO, THE IMAGE IS BETTER WITH THE NEW BOXES.

You are also welcome to leave your Feedback about the New Spectrum Guide. Best way to do that is to get a Twitter account or log into Twitter. Go to and follow the @AskSpectrum page and follow that account. Send a Direct (Private Message) with your account information about what features you would like to see added to the new guide. Request that your feedback goes to the Development Team.

I ASPIRE TO KEEP MYSELF AWAY FROM TWEETER, FACEBOOK AND OTHER DISTRACTIONS. I WOULD APRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD FORWARD MY CONCERNS, AS I AM SURE I AM NOT ALONE.

PERHAPS THIS WILL ENTICE THE POWERS ABOVE TO CONSIDER A SOFTWARE UPGRADE (BOTH VERIZON AND DISH-ATT HAVE BETTER INTERFACES... BUT STILL, NONE AS SIMPLE AND FRIENDLY AS THE MOTOROLA BOXES.

Satch THANK YOU SATCH

Sep 22, 2020

Found this information in the Spectrum Database. It is some Spectrum Guide search tutorials:

Satch

• casismecasisme Posts: 1
    Oct 01, 2020

Just to chime in and agree with RK, I had a 6-tuner DVR that needed constant rebooting to even function, and the recorded shows started freezing and a magical Blue you need a cable card sign kept appearing, and we also had issues with another receiver that was a non-DVR one. So we switched to the new, 'improved' boxes, and the non-DVR has the display but our new DVR not only lacks that, but as RK mentioned, so many other features seem to be either missing or drastically changed. We also received a 2-tuner box when I was promised a 6-tuner Hydra and then found out they no longer exist so we compromised with the 4-tuner one. Nothing that has happened over the past few weeks seemed at all like a huge business was running things. And I don't care how many devices we have that show the time, it is very helpful to see the channel listed on the box! And yes, the option for display was still there and I must have tried so many ways to make it work, before coming here and being able to commiserate with RK, and cry into my beer. How does all this make sense as an improvement? Or is it just to save money by cutting corners?

Oct 01, 2020

Found this information in the Spectrum Database. It is some Spectrum Guide search tutorials:

Satch

Oct 01, 2020

Just to chime in and agree with RK, I had a 6-tuner DVR that needed constant rebooting to even function, and the recorded shows started freezing and a magical Blue you need a cable card sign kept appearing, and we also had issues with another receiver that was a non-DVR one. So we switched to the new, 'improved' boxes, and the non-DVR has the display but our new DVR not only lacks that, but as RK mentioned, so many other features seem to be either missing or drastically changed. We also received a 2-tuner box when I was promised a 6-tuner Hydra and then found out they no longer exist so we compromised with the 4-tuner one. Nothing that has happened over the past few weeks seemed at all like a huge business was running things. And I don't care how many devices we have that show the time, it is very helpful to see the channel listed on the box! And yes, the option for display was still there and I must have tried so many ways to make it work, before coming here and being able to commiserate with RK, and cry into my beer. How does all this make sense as an improvement? Or is it just to save money by cutting corners?

My two cents. Going in numercial order for clarity:

1.) Most of the time a DVR that is constantly rebooting is due to a bad box. Correct. You did right to swap it out.

2.) Never in my 25 years of cable have I heard of a rented cable box displaying a "You need a cable card" message.

3.) If you hate the box with no clock and the functionality of the new World Box with Spectrum Guide, assuming that you live in a legacy TWC market, you can swap it out for a box with a clock and the old guide system back at a Spectrum store.

4.) New Spectrum Guide menu does provide a clock option for non-World boxes (boxes with clocks) that run Spectrum Guide. New Spectrum Guide is only on World Boxes, in limited former TWC areas.

Satch