Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

New Construction- Spectrum Cannot Confirm Access

KEB123KEB123 Posts: 1
in Connectivity Sep 22, 2020

My husband and I are in closing for a lot of land and we called Spectrum to ask them if they could confirm that we get internet at this location. They said they cannot confirm this until the house is built.

This is a more rural location, there has never been a house on it before, and some of the power lines are running through private property, not down the road. If the internet is the same then we would need to have permission from the property owners.

We are terrified that we could spend hundreds of thousands of dollars building our house and then not be able to get internet to that location. We both work from home, so we basically wouldn't be able to live there and owning a house we can't live in or sell would be obviously horrible.

Has anyone experienced this before or had any success with getting Spectrum to do a site visit before a house is built? We will happily pay for someone to come out and confirm this for us, but it seems crazy to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars without knowing this for sure first!

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 23, 2020

I apologize for any issues. In order for us to put in a survey to check the serviceability we would need an address and an actual home on the site. If there are no others in close range that have our service or can get our service it will be unlikely you can get service.

-Tyleen

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23 Sep 23, 2020

My guess will be a no. You can read this thread over at DSL Reports dot com, and even search for other threads on the subject.

The big issue is:

1. How far will your home be from the nearest point where Spectrum can locate your tap. If you home is not on the "road", this becomes a problem, as long runs are not possible, (more than one pole in from the "road"), and even if it is built, you may end up being responsible for maintaining it / paying for it's upkeep.
    2. The cable company needs an ROI on the installation. The thread above states how difficult that will be for one person with a very significant build-out.

I don't even know if it's possible, but make an appointment to see a construction manager at your local office, walk in with land surveys drawn to scale, to determine even if it's possible. If you home is more than 100 feet from the "road", I think you will be out of luck. There is a reason why the countryside isn't wired for broadband. There's not enough money in it.

Adding some more posts: