Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Internet slowness and interruption

SunSun Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 25, 2020

Hello,

We used to have very frequent internet interruptions and you helped to replace the cable in Aug which really helped a lot! Thank you for that! However the internet speed is really slow and getting worse and sometimes we lost the connection. I am working at home with a lot of meetings and very much rely on a stable internet for all my meetings. Could you help to take a look? Thank you!

PS: my phone is ok. never got dropped but the voice quality is really poor compare to laptop+earbuds.

Replies

• SunSun Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Sep 28, 2020

Can someone help? Thanks!

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,350 ADMIN
    Sep 28, 2020

What speed are you getting on a Speed Test ? Please post the results.

Sep 28, 2020

Here are the tests I ran over 2hrs from ~3-5pm. I will try again tomorrow morning as all most all my meetings are in AM and that's when I noticed interruptions and slowness.

DOWNLOAD23MbpsUPLOAD2.3Mbps

DOWNLOAD21.7MbpsUPLOAD2.2Mbps

DOWNLOAD17.4MbpsUPLOAD2.3Mbps

DOWNLOAD20.4MbpsUPLOAD2.5Mbps

DOWNLOAD16.3MbpsUPLOAD2.5Mbps

DOWNLOAD24.7MbpsUPLOAD2.4Mbps

DOWNLOAD15.1MbpsUPLOAD1.6Mbps

DOWNLOAD21.1MbpsUPLOAD0.8Mbps

DOWNLOAD21.5MbpsUPLOAD0.7Mbps

DOWNLOAD21.8MbpsUPLOAD0.0Mbps

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,354 Lead Mod
    Oct 01, 2020

There are numerous reasons you may be experiencing slow speeds.

Can you share a bit about how you are connecting? Wireless? Hardwired? What speeds are you seeing on alternate devices?

What steps if any have you tried in troubleshooting/isolating the issue?

Julia_R

Oct 01, 2020

I use wireless and my own modem

My phones reacted in the same way meaning they lost connections or became slow while my laptop did so I knew it is not a problem with the devices.

Usually what I did is disconnecting wifi from my laptop/phones and connect again. I need to do it a few or several times until things worked again but at that point I will not know if the disconnect/re-connect worked or the interruption just went away due to other reason because sometime even if i didn't do anything, the problem went away after a while. I also sometime powerdown/powerup the wireless modem but the effect is the same as the above approach....so you can not know for sure.

• misterjmisterj Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 01, 2020

Sun, please use an Ethernet connection to the modem or router and run your speed test. I recommend https://www.nperf.com/en/

Wi-Fi connections are almost always slower and do no reflect your connection. If you can login into your modem, please post a screenshot of the statistics page. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Oct 02, 2020

Good morning all!

I would actually suggest running a speed test from multiple sites, multiple devices, including our speedtest which tests our network. Speed Test

Get a comparison.

Julia_R

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2 Oct 02, 2020

@Sun

That looks suspiciously like an old legacy TWC tier plan (20x2). If you have not converted to a Spectrum plan, may want to call your local office to explore your options, as their standard tiers offer considerably more bandwidth now.

If you have converted already, may want to post specs/logs/status pages for your modem. May hint at some potential issues to investigate.

Oct 02, 2020

Julia_R,

i tried other devices. they are in the same speed range. I don't know what's going on but it is way lower then the plan. I never tested the speed until I got these hiccups. I guess the speed maybe was in this range before....and getting worse.

Oct 02, 2020

how can I remove the label for accepted answer?...i like what RAIST5150 said and it is maybe a hint so I accidentally click YES. but it's not resolved my problem here.

I hope this discussion won't treated as closed then have to start a new discussion.

Oct 02, 2020

how can I remove the label for accepted answer?...i like what RAIST5150 said and it is maybe a hint so I accidentally click YES. but it's not resolved my problem here.

Un-marking a post as answered is a moderator function. I removed the accepted answer from the post.

Oct 02, 2020

@Sun If you take a look at your bill what are you subscribed to?

That will help determine sort of where to go from here.

The modem logs would definitely help us to investigate.

You said that you power down the modem. Are you unplugging the modem from power and rebooting? Then unplugging the router and rebooting that?

Julia_R

Oct 08, 2020

Yes I did unplug the modem cable sometime. My plan is bulk plan through my HOA and what we subscribe is 100/10. Looks like I am only getting 20% of that

Oct 08, 2020

Are you using a separate router or just one device that is modem and router combined?

Julia_R

Oct 08, 2020

I am using one device with modem and router combined.

Oct 08, 2020

When you login to your modem, you are still using your own correct, what information are you able to access?

You indicated that you are connected wirelessly, have you tested connected directly to your modem? You also mentioned call quality. Are you calling via WiFi or do you subscribe to our phone service and have another modem for that?

Julia_R

Oct 08, 2020

I can connect to my modem http://192.168.0.1/. Sometime when I lost internet or get slowness, I went to http://192.168.0.1/ to release or renew LAN lease or reboot my modem....sometime it worked and most of time it didn't.

For the calls I mentioned, they were through internet. I have been using googlemeet for all my working meetings. So basically it is the same issue.

The actual phoneline I got from you seems ok but i rarely use it for lengthy calls especially meetings so I really can not tell. That uses your modem.

Oct 09, 2020

You mentioned WiFi several times. Have you tested directly connected with a computer and tested this way?

There was no mention of this if you had done that.

We have determined that you have 2 modems, one that is your own for Internet/wifi. One we supply

for telephone. If you take a look at the splitter what do you see? Do you have a 2 way or a 3 way splitter?

Everything is very tight? Not corroded or damaged? The coaxial cable, is it severely bent anywhere along the path? How long is the cable between the splitter and the modem?

Julia_R

Oct 13, 2020

I don't have a device that can use ethernet cable so I bought an adapter just for this. I tested and it shows the similar ~24mbps/2.5mbps speed. I also run the test at speedtest.net and it is the same. The slitter is 1-to-3 split and it is very new and the cables are too because they just installed by your technician not long ago. I made a video and check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktQJGUlhR4. thanks!

Here is the link to the adapter:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178HOTOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?0`nbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbhie=UTF8&psc=1

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 13, 2020

Two curious things... what is going on with that middle cable? Funky looking end. And is that open two way splitter with the white cables in play at all? Any open ended splitter/cable will present issues with signal quality.

Something you may want to check is whether that splitter has any notation on the ports about the loss factor. With typical 3-ways, one has a lower loss value than the other two (~3.5 vs ~7)--would want to identify that to use for your data modem. At the very least, if they are only numbered 1-3, try it on port 1, as that would likely be the first split (internally, it is two back to back splits with port 1 going out as port 1, with port 2 getting split again to go out as ports 2 and 3).

Oct 19, 2020

Figured this out with Customer Care and just to want to let you know. My internet is a bulk account through my HOA. In 2018, they upgraded the contract with Spectrum however I am still on the legacy contract so the internet speed has been at ~25. You tech support just updated the "code"(no idea what code it it) for my account and will mail me a new modem(which is required, by the contract, to get the upgraded speed, 100mbps). I hope this resolve the problem. Thank you for your help here!

Oct 20, 2020

Thanks for the update. Let us know if the problem is resolved!

Oct 21, 2020

Just activate my new modem/router and finally I get the speed I have been paying for. all good now!Thanks!