Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

How do I change my network wifi channel?

GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 30, 2020

Connection keeps dropping and when up it is slow

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Oct 01, 2020

Hello! Welcome the the Spectrum Community!

There can be a number of reasons the connection may be slow. Have you noticed any troubles with connection direct to the modem?

Changing the WiFi channel can be done by logging into the router, through the app if you have a specific type of router or asking that support to change that.

If you can post some additional information about your situation we can possibly narrow that down.

Julia_R

• GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 01, 2020

Hi Julia... When I plugged in my laptop using ethernet I got 100 MBPS but only around 9 MBPS using my WIFI connection. I called tech support and after over a 1/2 hour wait they changed the channel for me for one with less congestion. That improved my download speed to about 14 MBPS. I purchased a netgear AC1200 WIFI range extender and after installation it improved to around 30 MBPS. Better than before I guess. How do I log into my router to change through the app? ,

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Oct 02, 2020

That depends on the router you are using. Our newer routers dont have access, changes would be made through the app. That being said, the new routers should be optimizing automatically and moving from the 2.4 to the 5 seamlessly.

Range extenders wont normally provide a higher speed than the router its self unless you are testing from a place in the home/business that has poor signal. . Are you having problems in a specific part of the house with WiFi and that is what the extender is for?

What type router are you using?

Julia_R