Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Blacklist IP address or change IP address

Firas1Firas1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Oct 01, 2020

I have a problem with people attacking me while I’m using the internet. Every time I play Xbox and join a group game and solo games, there are people out there the turn off the Internet. Then I have to wait for five minutes for the Internet service to come back on. How can I prevent this. Or I heard that I could could blacklist my IP address to prevent this. Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

Tagged:

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    edited October 1 Oct 01, 2020

Good morning. Welcome to the Spectrum Community.

To report Internet Abuse we encourage you to visit Reporting Internet Abuse for more information.

Have a great day!

Julia_R

• Firas1Firas1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 03, 2020

I don’t know who is doing the attacks while I am on Xbox. There are random people disconnecting my internet. How do I get the evidence to report it. Or how do I block these people?

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3 Oct 03, 2020

DoS attacks are a big problem in general on consoles with specific games because some developers opt to allow/depend on peer to peer network connections that make it too easy to identify your IP address, as opposed to stricter server only connection models (game clients can connect directly to each other, versus connecting only to a server).

Not really much you can do to prevent it if you want to continue engaging in the specific activities where it is most prevalent... for example, the more highly competitive Trials/Iron Banner events of Destiny 2 versus the more generic regular Crucible and co-op events (Strikes/Raids).

Some things to consider though:

Avoid the DMZ or Direct Connect approach. Use UPnP or Manual forwarding rules to only open the ports required for the games. This considerably minimizes your exposure for direct access to your system. The developer should provide guidance about opening/forwarding ports... may have to check their forums for links to the info. Should note this may be a requirement for the game to function properly. The aforementioned Destiny series is notorious for this issue... if the router's firmware does not track UDP sessions in a specific way, the game will not run right without ports opened properly--may even boot you from activities.

Disable your router's responses to ICMP Echo requests (response to pings). This will help eliminate some sniffing attempts to find/verify your public IP in general. This is a feature that really should only be active for testing purposes and then disabled.

Look for and if found, enable your router's anti-DoS feature. Not the greatest protection, as it basically just limits how many half-open connection attempts the router allows... but it can considerably reduce the impact of some basic flooding tactics.

Consider using a VPN service. Not all games support using a VPN, but it can be quite effective if you can do this. It basically masks your actual public IP. Instead of connecting directly to your network, the attacks go against a front-end service better equipped to deal with the flooding. This is tricky for consoles as it requires either shunting through a proxy PC/Laptop running the VPN, or using a router based solution. There are companies that market router based solutions. Some companies actually sell routers with everything preconfigured, and some VPN services offer guides and files to create Open VPN profiles on the more popular WRT/Tomato based solutions for router brands like Asus, Netgear, Linksys, etc. Asus in particular has a built-in deal with WTFast in one of their "gaming" router lines.

Consider using a router with regional/geolocation filtering. NetDuma is a brand specifically built around this approach. Netgear has a line of Nighthawk routers that also incorporate a lighter version of the Duma OS that provides the same filtering approach to their routers. Granted, this doesn't get specifically to the DDoS issue, but allows you to set a perimeter for who is able to connect to your system, and dramatically streamlines your ability to identify the addresses/locations of everyone who is connectong to you.

Get very vocal with the support channels for the games you are playing to have THEM address the exploits in the game client that are enabling the DoS attacks in the first place. Use the game's reporting tools to either flag the players or at least flag the session so they can investigate the incident... with any luck it can lead to banning more abusers. It may fall on deaf ears... but ultimately they are the ones at fault for the design decisions enabling those abusers. Persistence is key to affecting change on this front... took a firestorm of backlash to get Bungie to do somethimg about it on the PC release of D2. The Amazon sockets approach was not a perfect solution... very poorly optimized the way they chose to implement it, but it was a step in a better direction. Hopefully they have or will figure things out though (I left that game behind a long time ago).

Last but not least... the nuclear option: stop playing those exploitable games on consoles. Do a little research on the games before you commit to them... lurk on their forums, read reviews, etc. to discern if they will be using P2P or not. If you at least opt for the PC version, you may be able to set up a VPN on that PC to help guard against the attacks.