Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

My Router is hacked. How do I change the password?

greenelectra85greenelectra85 Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 4 in Home Networking Oct 04, 2020

My router has been hacked and I have no login page to change the password, just a read only info page. I have no phone and live in an apt complex so Tech Support wont help me either. They accessed my credit card, maxed it out and are trying to hit my debit card. HOW DO I CHANGE THE PASSWORD?

Accepted Answers

• greenelectra85greenelectra85 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Oct 12, 2020 Accepted Answer

Thank you all for your responses. As it turns out, my router was not on my list of equipment and through the Spectrum app I was able to both add my router and change my password with Spectrum's help. At that time there were 12 additional users on my network, which, was still password protected with the original password so how they got on is beyond me. Furthermore, I live in an apt complex and with the WiFi signal only able to travel around 600' at best, the "thieves" had to be right here in this building or the adjacent one. Welcome to pigeon hole living.

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 47 MOD
    Oct 04, 2020

Hello!

If you are using a Spectrum provided router, you would need to either log in at Spectrum.net with your Spectrum ID or use the My Spectrum app to change the password and/or network name. If you are using a router that you have provided, you should be able to log in at 192.168.1.1 using the information provided by the manufacturer or if you've change that information, the information you've updated it to.

Oct 04, 2020

I'm using a Spectrum Router. It's been hacked. There are 8 unknown devices connected, I can't change the password because the hackers have disabled the login page. Its a read only exposing my password. I don't have a phone, my credit card was hacked and an attempt made on my debit card.

• LGTLGT Posts: 101 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 04, 2020

If you have no phone and Spectrum is the only way you have to connect to the outside world this is going to become hard. If you have unknown devices connected to your router you need to shut it down. Any type of criminal activity could be going through your connection to the internet and when the police come they are coming to your house.

Who ever has your credit card info probably did not get it through your router since routers do have that info, but they may have gotten access to computers connected to your router so you should disconnect them from the internet and begin security scans on them.

You need to find a friend or relative who has internet access and ask them to let you use their connection. First thing you need to do then is change the passwords on all your sensitive sites, I.e. banks, companies that have your credit info, and anywhere else someone could steal from you.

Finally you need to contact all your credit cards, the police and the three credit reporting agencies and let them know what has happened. Trust me you want to get on top of this as fast as you can to minimize the damage.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 47 MOD
    Oct 04, 2020

@greenelectra85

You would not need to log in to the router itself to change the password, you can change it though the My Spectrum app or though Spectrum.net Are you unable to access either the app or our website?

Oct 05, 2020

I tried both. I have to pay to become s Spectrum Member on the App and on Spectrum.net. there is the same problem- no log in page. I can't access my router in any way, shape or form. The page that displays is my network credentials, for all to see when I go to 192.168.1.1, no way to change my password as there is no access to my router. Something I read said reboot it and I'll have about 1 minute to login but that was baloney. There simply is no way to access this router and I've also read that Spectrum has begun restricting router logins. I've had this network for 3 months and I'm still using the original password. I may have missed my only opportunity to change the password, when it was new. Idk.

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6 Oct 06, 2020

If it's your router, unplug it from the cable modem. Unplug all the RJ45 ethernet cables. Unplug it from power. Wait five minutes. Do not connect any cables but power. Power it up. Factory reset it. (There is usually a pinhole button on them.) Let it reset. Do not connect it to your cable modem. Use a hard-wired connection from your computer and connect your computer to a LAN port. Follow the vendor's instructions to setup and configure your router.

If you are renting an all-in-one from Spectrum for WiFi, you are paying Spectrum $5 per month to manage it. As stated in other posts, the Spectrum routers are managed from your Spectrum.net login page.

If you have Spectrum internet through some other means, I am sure that most here will be at a loss to help you without more information.

You shouldn't have to "pay" to become a member on the App or Spectrum.net if you are the account holder of record. If the router / internet access is being paid for by someone else, then that person needs to address the problem, even if the router is physically in your apartment.

Oct 06, 2020

Its my apt, my equipment, I have both a bulk account with Spectrum and I pay extra for a DVR a higher Cable Tier and 200mbps internet. Idk what to believe. I see posts saying these routers are no longer Customer accessible or addressable and that's certainly my case. There is simply no Router login page and no way to get one. If somebody can access this SAC2V1K router, certainly let me know. And if Spectrum is now proprietary to their own equipment, I'd like to know that too. I don't want to buy my own Router and have it be incompatible. This stuff has gotten ridiculous.

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6 Oct 06, 2020

It is true that customers can no longer access Spectrum provided MODEMS to access diagnostic pages for signal strength, etc.

Customers can always access their OWN router.

If you are using a combination Model / Router (i.e. - an all-in-one) that provides access to Spectrum internet AND routes internet traffic in your home / apartment, then that must be addressed through Spectrum.net, using the credentials you use to pay your bill.

If this is what you have, and if you are paying $5 per month for it, send it back, and buy your own Wireless Router, and get the cable company out of your LAN.

I assume this must be managed through your Spectrum credentials, too, but the user's manual above indicates that you can login locally.

If you have a PC that you can hardwire connect to your modem, there is no reason why you cannot take the router out of the equation, factory reset it, then set it up as if were from scratch...

Talking your router out of the equation (simply disconnecting it for some period of time) will surely cause the leeches to let go....

Oct 06, 2020

This equipment is only 3 months old and I'm hardwired to the router which is separate from the Modem. I tried hardwiring to the modem and there was no connection. Maybe resetting the modem would resolve that problem but I need wifi for my devices and hardwires for 2 other PCs. The ROUTER IS ABSOLUTELY NOT addressable. When my new phone comes I can try calling Spectrum to have them log in and change my password but if it was hacked once, wouldn't it still be just as vunerable? I'm about to go buy my own Router.

Oct 07, 2020

I can access all of Spectrum's options except my router.. When I get my new phone, so I can call them, I'll have them tell me why (or lie about it; they're good at that, too) I can't access the router. Then I'll inform everyone.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,354 Lead Mod
    edited October 8 Oct 08, 2020

In your situation you definitely want to follow the steps that @LGT outlined. Your computer has been compromised if they obtained your personal information. If the computer is still compromised and you reconnect it to the Internet the problems will not be resolved. .

Disconnect from the Internet. You do not have to pay to use our application. The model you have should be accessible via the app for password changes. If this is not the case you will want to borrow a phone from someone, go somewhere where you have access to a phone and contact your bank etc. Change passwords to all of your the sites you login at. Make sure those passwords are different from one another. If you use the same and someone obtains that, they can login everywhere you can.

Visit Reporting Identity Theft for more information.

Julia_R

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,354 Lead Mod
    Oct 15, 2020

@greenelectra85 Glad to hear you have been able to get that changed.

Hope to see you here in the Community!

Julia_R