Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Can't download mail while on home internet - works on cellular

aweiseaweise Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
in Email Oct 08, 2020

I called tech support twice about this yesterday, but they were of no help.

Recently (I'd say within the past week), I suddenly couldn't download my nycap.rr.com email while on my home wifi, which goes through a Spectrum home internet service. However, when I put my phone on cellular data, I am able to download the mail without any issues. It then began working again without me doing anything. This stopped working again yesterday morning and I haven't been able to download mail since.

Within my home, I have two iPhones, two iPads, and a Windows 10 PC using Mozilla Thunderbird. I tried verifying the settings on the mobile devices (Spectrum basically told me to call Apple to figure out where the right settings are), but I also configured Thunderbird per the Spectrum-recommended suggestions, but it still didn't work.

The issue is that my clients are timing out when connecting to the server. It's as if the server was decommissioned or changed its IP. Again, downloading mail was working until yesterday.

Has anyone else heard of this? It appears to me that the problem is related to where I'm coming from - home internet pipe vs cellular. Ironically, my cell service is also Spectrum mobile.

Thank you!

Replies

• aweiseaweise Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
    Oct 08, 2020

I should also add that I have no internet connectivity issues through my home otherwise - web browsing, mobile apps, and everything else works like a champ.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Oct 08, 2020

Good morning!

Can you tell us a little about your set up? Are you using a Spectrum modem and router? A one modem/router combo?

Have you rebooted the modem and then router, or modem/router combo? Normally if we see something like this a reboot resolves the issue.

Julia_R

Oct 08, 2020

Julia - I have a Spectrum modem, but my own router (Eero wireless mesh). I have a 100x10 internet cable service.

I've rebooted everything - the modem, the Eero, every mobile device, and even upgraded the IOS on my iPhone. It works sporadically.

Again - I don't want this to get lost on anyone...I have ZERO problems when I'm on my cellular service. I'm able to download mail on my phone that way. When I go onto my home wifi through my internet service, the connection times out. I think it has to do with the network I'm coming from. The same thing happens with my Windows 10 PC, so I also don't think it has to do with my device settings.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,341 Lead Mod
    Oct 08, 2020

Thanks for that. I would recommend a change of password. After you do, that please update that in

all of your devices. This should correct the issue.

Please let us know how it goes!

Julia_R

Oct 08, 2020

Thank you - why would I have to change the password? This seems like a connectivity issue to me.

• SerpentineSerpentine Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Oct 08, 2020

I have the same problem and received no effective help from Spectrum support.

Starting in the morning (US-EST) on 10/7 I could no longer access the Spectrum email server from my home computer Outlook (Office 365) or my iphone mail app. I have a legacy TWC address @nycrr.com. Later that day the iOs mail access to my spectrum email started working again, but the Outlook never recovered. The error messages I receive from outlook are attached.

I triple checked all settings and did so with Spectrum support on the phone. My Spectrum webmail worked throughout as did my internet. So the problem is something changed overnight making Spectrum's servers incompatible with Outlook. .

The advice above to change the password is Spectrum's equivalent of "turn it off and turn it back on." It is their only solution to every problem. In this case it makes no sense, since the password works on other platforms, and of course yielded no change.

Other than changing the password, Spectrum outright refused to solve the problem claiming it was Microsoft's problem. I think that only a near monoloply would tell customers that they do not have to provide a service that works with the most popular platoform in use (Outlook). Imagine Verizon saying they don't have to provide cell service that works on an iphone? Would not happen because Verizon has competition and effective regulation. Spectrum should be ashamed of abandoning its customers on this issue.

Anyone also have this problem or get this fixed.? Thanks

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8 Oct 08, 2020

@aweise

Just to rule it out, have you altered your DNS at all?

Sometimes see weird things crop up with heavy caching schemes like Cloudflare and such tend to use. Swapping back to the ISP DNS , or an alternate provider like Google, OpenDNS, etc. and flushing caches may resolve such issues.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8 Oct 08, 2020

@Serpentine

800ccc0e points toward corruped files, more typically the pst/ost files. When outlook detects errors like this it will just stop sending/receiving--Exchange was famous for taking databases offline in similar scenarios and it was a PAIN cleaning them up to get them back on line.

Instead of thrashing through or flat out trashing the data, can try creating a new profile to see if it starts synching again and then you can port messages over... unless it is something deeper that requires a repair of Outlook.

Should be able to search the error code for more info.

Oct 08, 2020

RAIST5150 - I didn't update my DNS, but I can try that on the Windows PC.

Serpentine detailed EXACTLY what I went through last night with tech support. They claimed it was an Apple issue, so I should call them to verify the settings and where to change them - based on Spectrum's support page that says what the settings should be. The supervisor and one other technician I spoke with claimed that they only supported their webmail client and not mail clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, or the native mail client in iOS. I explained the same thing Serpentine did - I would think they should be able to support and understand how to work with popular mail clients like these...but I just got the line that they only support their own webmail.

By the way, I didn't change the password on one of my accounts and it suddenly started working this morning. Once I get the chance, my next step is to connect my PC directly to the modem and see if mail works....but it may be moot now that downloading works on both accounts.

This is AWFUL support from Spectrum.

• SerpentineSerpentine Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Oct 08, 2020

I changed nothing and it just started working again. No updates or anything on my end. So apparently it was a Spectrum-side problem and their customer support simply refused to accept that possibility. Shame on Spectrum. But I am glad they resolved it on their end. Thanks for the advice and commiseration! When I have time I will register a complaint online with the cable regulators -- that sometimes gets their attention (at least it did with Time Warner). Hope your problem is solved too.

Oct 08, 2020

I'm not convinced they fixed anything...this is the second time this has happened to me.