Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Is Spectrum getting rid of EarthLink

keithr3keithr3 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
in Email Oct 09, 2020

I currently use EarthLink through Spectrum.Is Spectrum doing away with EarthLink at the end of October? Thanks

Best Answer

• OldManOldMan Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited October 16 Oct 16, 2020 Accepted Answer

I got an answer today from Spectrum:

We’re contacting you today about some important changes to your Internet service.

On October 31, our contract with EarthLink will come to an end. There will be no interruption to your Internet service and there is no further action required to keep your services, but note you will no longer see EarthLink mentioned on your upcoming bills.

NOTE: If you are using an EarthLink email address, switch to a Spectrum.net address to avoid possible disruption in email service.

Replies

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10 Oct 10, 2020

I recently was checking broadbandnow for a address in Southern Indiana and Earthlink was listed as one of the providers for that address. SO I called and they seem to still be in business and taking new customers.

Four years ago, Windstream bought EarthLink's network assets for $1.1 billion. In 2017, Charter elected to terminate the agreement with EarthLink, which meant the latter could no longer add new subscribers. Based on a section of the agreement, the two parties have been operating under a "transition period" whereby "existing service subscribers—currently approximately 50,000 in number—are eligible to continue to receive EarthLink High-Speed Service until October 31, 2020."

• keithr3keithr3 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Oct 10, 2020

Ok I had received an email from EarthLink stating it’s contract with Charter was ending on October 31.I was checking into new options if that happened

• OldManOldMan Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited October 12 Oct 12, 2020

I received the same email. I use Earthlink's email. When the contract ends, I guess I'll need to start using a different email address. [That's a downside to using the ISP's email as your primary email address.].

If/when the contract ends, I would like to know if my internet will automatically switch over to Spectrum Internet, or will I need to contact Spectrum and request the change to Spectrum Internet

Oct 13, 2020

I have a Gmail account that I will start using ,but like you I need to know how the switch will work if I use Spectrum

Oct 17, 2020

I have been trying to create a new email account with Spectrum ,but I keep getting the response” We are experiencing trouble please try again.”

• ShannonKShannonK Posts: 1
    Oct 17, 2020

Anyone found out what impact this will have on our bill? Are prices going to spike?

Oct 17, 2020

I have no idea,but I imagine our bill will go up.I am still trying to create a new Spectrum email account and keep getting the Service Not Available response.So they want me to change email,but won’t let me do it.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,364 Lead Mod
    Oct 17, 2020

Hello All!

If you are attempting to create a Spectrum email account and are having issues we encourage you to contact support to look into that with you. As email creation and errors are not something your peers here can help with.

Hope you are all having a good day!

Julia_R

• WaynefWaynef Posts: 1
    Oct 18, 2020

Does that mean we have to migrate to charter? That email wasn’t too clear and I need to either set this process up before end of this week so that I can migrate my accounts

• SunnysideCableSunnysideCable Posts: 2
    Oct 22, 2020

OK so I had no idea about this and yesterday I received a letter from EarthLink just stating that my service will end Oct 31. I understand that Spectrum will take over then. What will the new price be? Will there be any alternative?? Or will I be stuck with Spectrum/Charter? I just called the number on the card and was told that they have to cease service. I already know that Verizon FIOS is not an option for me...

• ltieferltiefer Posts: 1
    Oct 23, 2020

Suppose you want to keep your earthlink email. What are your options then?

• AJF2kAJF2k Posts: 1
    Oct 23, 2020

I received the same email from Earthlink.

I called them and I was able to change my Earthlink account to an email only account. I've had my Earthlink email address for around 20 years and didn't want to give it up. They now charge me $4.95 a month plus an additional $1.95 for additional email storage (optional). I felt it was worth it to keep the address.

I don't know if this applies to everyone, but for me, Earthlink was provided by Charter and then Spectrum. My bill has been going through Spectrum for about five years, starting when I switched from DSL to Cable internet.

I received an email from Spectrum a few days ago regarding the Earthlink issue and it said the transfer would happen automatically on Oct 31 and I don't need to do anything. I do not know if the pricing will change.

Hope this helps.

• SunnysideCableSunnysideCable Posts: 2
    Oct 25, 2020

I actually spoke to them and they stated the price would not change, unless we change our services. At least for the foreseeable future.

• TerryR23TerryR23 Posts: 1
    Oct 25, 2020

If you have an Earthlink address and want to keep it, contact Earthlink. It is either $4.95 a month or a yearly fee of $47.40.