Welcome to the Spectrum Community

Get answers, share solutions, help your community.

Start here

Constantly losing DOSCIS 3.1 connectivity - neighbors seeing similar issues

marvinthemartianfanmarvinthemartianfan Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Oct 12, 2020

I have been constantly losing DOSCIS 3.1 connectivity and general connectivity for the past week. When it works it is fine, but it is either all or nothing, dropping several times a day and requiring constant reboot/reset of the cable modem. My neighbors have been reporting the same issues. I do have a service appointment scheduled today, but is there a way for this problem to be investigated on a broader neighborhood level. A lot of the issues appear to have started after the end of August after a 24+ hour power outage. In terms of my equipment I'm on my third spectrum issued modem within two weeks (swapped out two previously in the last two weeks, EU2251 is current, replaced E31T2V1, and EU2251 previously ), replaced my router(handles the drops better) and only things haven't been done is replaced interior home wiring(last tech visit a week ago said signals looked good) and exterior drop.

Is there a way to get this escalated beyond normal tech support after on-site visit verifies or eliminates any other possible issues that are specific to just my house.

Best Answer

• marvinthemartianfanmarvinthemartianfan Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 12, 2020 Accepted Answer

The good/bad news is that it turned out to be a neighborhood issue as suspected. OFDM signal level spikes was noticed by the tech who visited my house. Still have to wait for another 24 to 48 hours for line repair/techs for that issue to do their work and hopefully it will resolve this issue.

Even though the issue isn't resolved yet, been very impressed with spectrum's willingness to try to resolve it and happy to have a tech who was willing and able to dig a little deeper into the problem.

Replies

• misterjmisterj Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 12, 2020

marvinthemartianfan, first, this is a peer-peer forum and I am a user as you. There are Spectrum people who may comment. I cannot answer any of your policy questions. Unfortunately Spectrum locked users out of their newer modems, so you cannot see the statistics inside, which is what we use to try to help you. I think Spectrum made a major mistake here. Both of the mentioned modems are essentially the same, I have an customer owned Arris equivalent just so I can observe the statistics. I had a Spectrum model like yours and it worked great. Based on your report of your neighbors, it looks like a wide area problem to me. I suggest you explain it to the service person. If your statistics are observed in your system, please get a screenshot and post it here so we can comment. Please tell us your paid speed and measured speeds. I recommend www.nperf.com not the Spectrum provided one. Good luck and enjoy, John.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12 Oct 12, 2020

@marvinthemartianfan

It is a process. Normally, they have to rule out everything locally before it gets escalated to the next tier.

Since it is happening around the neighborhood, get everyone to call it in. This may lead to a truck roll regardless once enough complaints for the same node are called in.

An alternate short-term approach to resolution could be to downgrade to a 3.0 modem if you are not on the gig tier. Some markets are having issues specific to the new 3.1 spectrum, but their 3.0 spectrum is fine.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,354 Lead Mod
    Oct 15, 2020

@marvinthemartianfan

Have we been back out? We would love an update.

Julia_R

• marvinthemartianfanmarvinthemartianfan Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 15, 2020

As I work indoors and don't know where the work in the neighborhood was supposed to be performed, I can't answer yes or no. I will say everything has been much more stable(two solid days of no issues), so I will press my luck and hope the issue is resolved. I haven't seen any new reported outages on the neighborhood facebook group, so hopefully that means the problem is solved.