Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Google Mesh Wifi (not Nest)

ptlumpptlump Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2020 in Home Networking Oct 19, 2020

At the outset, I should say I have a low to average level of networking knowledge. I understand the concepts, but the advanced stuff is beyond me. I am not certain I am even asking these questions correctly, but here goes.

I have a Sagecom [email protected] 5260 wifi router and an Arris modem. (2 units) I have Internet *and* phone service through these devices. There are 2 dead zones in my house and I want to have wifi in the backyard. So there are three areas to which I am trying to beef up the wifi signal.

To do this I bought a Google wifi mesh kit with 3 nodes. It seems there are two ways to do this. One way would be to put the Sagecom in bridge mode and disable wifi broadcasting and turn it into a dumb router. Then connect one WAP as a router and set it up wirelessly with the other two nodes. However, I have read that this will disable my phone service. Plus, I've looked at the settings on the router and I don't see any way to put the Sagecom in bridge mode. (Looks like I would have to setup port forwarding instead which seems very tricky.)

The second way (I think) would be to connect each node via ethernet cable back to the Sagecom, and let them broadcast the wifi signal but the backhaul would be hardwired. Is this possible with multiple Google wifi nodes? How would the ethernet and wifi function simultaneously on the nodes if they are not acting as routers?

What settings would I need to change on the Sagecom? Would this affect my phone service?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.