Not getting native IPv6 with Spectrum fiber in Bradenton, FL

SeanMichaelSeanMichael Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 21 in Connectivity Oct 21, 2020

I live in a community in Bradenton, FL. The developer has a contract with Spectrum/Charter to supply the communities with fiber (FTTH) in all the homes and amenity center, playground etc. They call this product UltraFi.

I know for a fact Spectrum has native IPv6 available in this area because I have friends who have Spectrum as well in Bradenton and they have native IPv6.

I attached pictures of the setup Spectrum did. The ONT is a Nokia xe-040g-a

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,459 ADMIN
    Oct 21, 2020

@SeanMichael

Hello and welcome!

Spectrum uses dual stack IPv4/IPv6 addressing. Sounds like you are included in a bulk residential program. Are you seeing to a "10.xx.xx.xx" IPv4 address?

• misterjmisterj Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 21, 2020

SeanMichael, here are the instructions for the TP-Link router to set up IPv6. I suggest you do a search or call your router vendor to determine commensurate instructions for your router. Enjoy, John.

• SeanMichaelSeanMichael Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited October 21 Oct 21, 2020

No my ipv4 are 192.168.1.xx

I mean I could easily change it to the 10.xx.xx.xx format but not sure if that would do anything

Misterj if it's native ipv6 then there should be nothing to setup. I would just choose auto detect in my router settings

Oct 21, 2020

Thanks. As a bulk tenant, service is distributed to each user using a subnet. It appears that the subnet is set up using IPv4. Taking backward compatibility into consideration, this is usually the preferred method to subnet.

• SeanMichaelSeanMichael Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 21, 2020

Sooo in lamens terms what does that mean lol

Oct 21, 2020

The administrator for your service set up the network as IPv4. Keep in mind that IPv6 is simply an addressing protocol that allows more IP addresses than IPv4. There is no impact on speed or service level.

This discussion has been closed.