Is Earthlink Blocking Spectrum Subscribers?

Ranger_BugRanger_Bug Posts: 1
edited October 28 in Email Oct 23, 2020

After being an Earthlink subscriber for 25 years, the company eliminated service to my area, which forced me to switch to Spectrum internet (which turned out to be a good thing). I kept my Earthlink e-mail account for a small monthly fee. Beginning this morning, I have been unable to access _any_ Earthlink web page while logged on as a Spectrum user. I had no problems connecting to non-Earthlink websites.

While on hold with Earthlink support, I found references on the web to Earthlink suing Spectrum, so it occurred to me that Spectrum might be spitefully blocking access to Earthlink websites. The support tech said she had gotten similar complaints from other Spectrum customers today. When I connected to the internet using a VPN, I had no problem accessing Earthlink sites. As soon as I disconnected, the sites became inaccessible again. This suggests to me that it is Earthlink that is doing the blocking.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, we (and Spectrum) might want to pile on Earthlink for doing this. Alternatively, if you need to access an Earthlink web page, try doing so through a VPN.

Terry

Comments

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    Oct 23, 2020

Good morning.

We definitely want to review the issue, when you are not able to reach any specific site. If you are able to run a Trace Route to the website we can see where that traffic stops.

Julia_R

• JhonnaOJhonnaO Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Oct 26, 2020

I don't know who is blocking whom, however, when I try to access any earthlink pages via my Spectrum ISP connection. I get a DNS error (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN) or (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED). This does not happen if I use my Verizon connection.

I even tried entering the IPs instead of domains but I still get this error when on my Spectrum connection. Error says IP address could not be found and DNS error again. This does not happen if I use a different ISP.

Since I get my DNS settings from Spectrum when connected to my cable internet, I tried using a manually entered DNS (googles 8.8.8.8) and the issue was resolved. Removing the manual entry, the earthlink sites were again unavailable due to same error.

Someone suggested using Firefox for a browser (i had been using Microsoft Edge and Chrome). I downloaded Firefox, installed it and it worked. The first time I accessed the earthlink site it gave me a pop up bubble that said firefox was using an alternative DNS server to help me find the site).

My DNS servers show as Primary: 71.10.216.1 and Secondary 71.10.216.2 ...PS yes I have spent at least 3 days with 7 Spectrum techs, including one that physically changed out my cable modem. So, settings and equipment in my home (spectrums or mine) are not the issue. These errors happens on PCs, samsung cell and Apple iPad only when connected to my Spectrum ISP. They happen through my wifi router AND when I directly connected to Spectrum modem without the router.

NOTE: the last two nights I have been told the issue would be escalated. I was told I would be given a tracking ticket# by email and the last rep was to call me back in 5 minutes to be sure I got the ticket number via my Hotmail. Nothing was received no call or email, and not in junk mail either.

Hope this helps Spectrum and Earthlink figure what is wrong and FIX it. We should not need to use WORK AROUNDS.

Oct 26, 2020

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.572]

(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\jlmcb>tracert webmail.earthlink.net

Unable to resolve target system name webmail.earthlink.net.

C:\Users\jlmcb>tracert www.earthlink.com

Unable to resolve target system name www.earthlink.com.

C:\Users\jlmcb>

• tastas Posts: 1
    Oct 26, 2020

This same thing started happening to me this weekend. Can no longer get to earthlink or earthlink email while connected to Spectrum wifi. But everything works fine once I connect to my T-Mobile hot spot on my phone. Couldn't figure out if I needed to call Earthlink or Spectrum.....very glad I found this thread before I did....will just wait it out until issue is resolved.

• mechemeche Posts: 1
    Oct 26, 2020

The same thing has happened to me. I am sooo frustrated with this. I haven't been able to access my e-mail since Tue Oct 20th. I have some time sensitive e-mails I am waiting for so it has made me pretty crabby. I called Earthlink who I have used as my e-mail provider for 19 years. First call: they said Spectrum customers were experiencing this issue if they were using Earthlink for email. It is a contract issue he said. I needed to call Spectrum and be sure to tell them it is a "Known Issue." This was after a 40 min. wait and another 45 to explain and work through my problem. Then next phone call was to Spectrum: They said they "don't block anybody" He had me unplug, plug back in, use different browsers, use different devices, etc. etc. With end result being what I told him in the beginning: "I have internet I just can't access anything Earthlink, and I have been unable to access ANY Earthlink web page while logged in as a Spectrum user.. I've had no problems connecting to non-Earthlink websites. AND this is a known issue with Spectrum. " After contacting "others" he said no one knows anything about a problem, but I have internet service and so I need to call Earthlink back. Third phone call: (made 10/26/2020) The agent was so confusing, placing me on hold several times for 3-5 mins but he finally came back on and said he had talked with "back support" (I think he called them he was hard to understand). and they were working on my issue and they should have this fixed by the end of the day. Do I believe that? not. I don't care who is blocking whom. But Earthlink and Spectrum seem to be blaming each other for Earthlink email customers not getting their email. They need to get this figured out and get it fixed NOW. I am on the verge of discontinuing both Earthlink and Spectrum services.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,435 ADMIN
    Oct 27, 2020

@meche & @tas,

For direct assistance, please post a trace route to the Earthlink website giving the error.

Other members have indicated that using a different browser (ie. Firefox) or changing the DNS settings (to generic Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) resolves the issue.

Oct 28, 2020

I use the Firefox work around to get to earthlink pages. I used the Change DNS setings to Google work around so my 82 year old mom could keep using her Outlook on her PC for her Earthlink email. Both Spectrum and Earthlink support tell me they are working on finding and fixing the issue.

Oct 30, 2020

Tomorrow is Day 10 on this issue. Work arounds but no fix. Sad.

• SwallowtailSwallowtail Posts: 2
    Nov 03, 2020

I am having the same issues. Spectrum tech staff refuse to acknowledge the problem. Say they can get Earthlink.net so I should. Can not believe after 20 years with this email address I might have to change just because these 2 companies can't get over them selves and serve the customer!

Nov 03, 2020

We agree, 'they can' so we SHOULD be able to also. However, Just because the tech staff can, does not mean they are using the exact same DNS settings that we are. It has been proven by more than just me, that using ways to 'get around' SPECTRUMS DNS SERVERS. we can get to Earthlink sites.

Why will SPECTRUM not find out why THEIR DNS Servers are not supplying the correct DNS information for Earthlink since Oct 20???

DNS from my MODEM provided by Spectrum:

dhcp server 71.15.161.1

DNS

• leesiegelleesiegel Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November 5 Nov 05, 2020

I am a Spectrum Internet subscriber with an Earthlink email only account and have been mostly unable to access my Earthlink webmail since Oct. 22--two weeks ago. Earthlink had trouble identifying the problem when I first complained, but by today they are saying it is an issue with Spectrum, and I believe them after seeing complaints from other Spectrum and Earthlink customers online.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,435 ADMIN
    Nov 05, 2020

@Swallowtail and @leesiegel,

For assistance, please post a trace route to the domain you are unable to reach (ie. webmail.earthlink.net)

Thanks.

Nov 05, 2020

I have no idea what that means. Please translate and explain what I need to do.

Nov 05, 2020

A Traceroute shows the path a query takes on the way to the destination. It can show where the block/stoppage is. It is a very useful test for situations like this.

I do see that we are investigating this issue.

You can run a traceroute

Running a Traceroute

1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
    2. Enter cmd and press Enter to open a Command Prompt.
    3. Enter tracert, a space, then the IP address or web address for the destination site (for example: tracert www.earthlink.com).
    4. Press Enter.

We would be happy to submit this for the investigation.

Julia_R

Nov 05, 2020

Here's what U got following your directions:

C:\Users\Lee>tracert webmail.earthlink.net

Unable to resolve target system name webmail.earthlink.net.

Nov 05, 2020

If I try using Chrome to access webail.earthlink.net, I get this:

This site can’t be reached

• webmail.earthlink.net’s server IP address could not be found.Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Nov 05, 2020

that should have said webmail.earthlink.net

Nov 05, 2020

Thanks.

If you do the same but using the IP 207.69.189.111 is what I find for the Earthlink

email website. I did just get a maintenance error when reaching that site. We may want to wait

a few minutes. Also would be a good test to just copy and paste that into the URL in your browser.

Julia_R

Nov 07, 2020

Julia, just a FYI: the issue of accessing ALL things Earthlink when connected to Spectrum as my ISP is still an ongoing issue. Still having to use work arounds. 1) NOT using Spectrum as my ISP to access all things Earthlink. 2) Changing my DNS settings manually to NON-Spectrum settings (like 8.8.8.8 which is a google DNS server), OR 3) using Firefox instead of MS Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome etc .(Firefox uses alternate DNS lookups when the ISP set doesn't work. It has been 18 days so far of no fix and of having to use work arounds.

Nov 07, 2020

leesigel, try doing the CMD thing again but use the IP for webmail.earthlink.net, like this:

C:\Users\Lee>tracert 207.69.189.111

• 165otter165otter Posts: 1
    Nov 07, 2020

I just want to go on the record I am having the same problem. Earthlink email customer for over 20 years, Spectrum customer for over 5 years, and cannot access email account for the past month while using spectrum. Using sprint cell phone hot spot as workaround.

Please get this worked out.

Nov 08, 2020

Thank you 165otter for adding your voice to the record. My mom in Oregon and myself in Washington state are hoping the issue can be found and fixed too.

Nov 08, 2020

I just received a phone call from Spectrum. And I must say I am very unsatisfied with the conversation. Due to the end of the contract between Earthlink and Spectrum on Oct 31, they are no longer supporting access to ANY Earthlink services. So the inability to access ANYTHING Earthlink is not because they are Blocking the services, it is because they are no longer supporting the access due to the end of the contract with Earthlink.

So if we want to continue accessing the Earthlink even just for email (unlike hotmail, gmail etc) in the case of Earthlink email or even to get to the Earthlink home page or support pages, we will have to use work arounds to get there from now on.

edited November 9 Nov 09, 2020

I am a Spectrum ISP customer on the Oregon coast and was without 90% of the ways to access my Earthlink legacy webmail from Oct. 22 until today, when an Earthlink rep came up with a fix. Spectrum is blocking all Earthlink folks, even those who just have webmail. The solution: change your DNS settings to preferred DNS 8.8.8.8 and alternate DNS 8.8.4.4 After I made these changes, I have full access to my webmail again. This worked both on my Windows 10 laptop and on my Android phone, although there are different routes to access DNS settings in the two devices.

• Mr_BennettMr_Bennett Posts: 1
    Nov 24, 2020

To all concerned, I too am a PNW Spectrum customer using Earthlink with no issues until mid October. Thanks to the Oregon user and others for the workaround. Heck of a way to run a railroad... (smile)

• SwallowtailSwallowtail Posts: 2
    Nov 24, 2020

I tried the Oregon DNS workaround - Did not work.