My technicolor tc8717t automatically disables 2.4ghz

Lestat109Lestat109 Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Oct 24, 2020

Hello.. when the technician came to install cable & internet he said that I have to "buy a router". i bought the router. Years later my brother comes over looks at the tc8717t and says "it has a wps button on it so you dont need a router, its a modem & router together". Question #1, is that true??? So my brother connected his laptop straight to the modem & showed me by turning on the 2.4ghz which was disabled. I connected to the 2.4ghz with no problem and NOT the router which I connected. But every time i need to reboot the modem the 2.4ghz disables automatically. Question #2, why does it disable when i reboot it???. My current router is very slow, so why would the tech tell me to buy a router when i can just connect to the wifi through the tc8717t???? Its much faster, but whenever i reboot it, it automatically disables both 2.4 & 5ghz ssid's? I clearly saw him log into the tc8717t and enable them, disconnected the faulty router and it worked fine.

Question #1. Is the tc8717t a modem & router??

Question #2? Why would tech tell me a router is the only way to connect?

Question #3. Why does the ssid's automatically disable when rebooted, and have to log into tc8717t & re-enable them??

Best Answer

Replies

• Lestat109Lestat109 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 24, 2020

Thank you so much for the fast & sufficient explanation to whats been driving me mad Lol! Thank you so much. So basically I can enable it, itll work, but since i dont pay itll disable by default, but itll work until reboot is needed.. thanks again

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 24, 2020

You're welcome! Generally it should disable itself eventually even if you don't reset it. To prevent this from happening you can either pay for our wireless or purchase a different router of your own that works better than the one you have.

-Tyleen

This discussion has been closed.