Router locked out from changes

KissmanKissman Posts: 1
in Connectivity Oct 25, 2020

This is really a rant, not a question:

I've seen this topic on here and closed out, but I was unsatisfied with the answer. So I just spent 45 minutes with Spectrum tech support, to include a supervisor, who basically can't give me an ACTUAL answer. Lets start with what I wanted to change:

On the RAC2V1K Spectrum router (made by askey) in the advanced settings is the DNS resolver that the router uses. It is LOCKED OUT from making changes. Well that's silly, I thought why would they do that when it's a 10 second change to use Cloudflair, Google, or OpenDNS by changing that IP address. The first level tech really didn't even understand how DNS works. The supervisor apparently has had to field this hot potato before. His answer: Change it on every device you have not in the router. I can do that but WHY? Just let me change it on the router or YOU change it for me. Nope. residential users can't change it unless they have a static IP (dumb) which, as it turns out, they don't offer residential users. Why? I asked. One has nothing to do with the other. No answer. I can buy a new router from Netgear or Linksys and just return the Spectrum router, but why should I have to spend $150 to $300 when Spectrum supplies me with a router? With Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhones, iPads virtual machines of various types being used under VirtualBox it's a true pain in the a$$.

Please, Spectrum, put on your big boy pants and realize that a lot of us are tech savvy and can do things without hand holding. Maybe have a special user group or something that let's us have more privileges than non technical users. Something!

Rant over.

Tagged:

Replies

• KurtBKurtB Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Oct 25, 2020

Similarly, my wifi printer needs to use WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) to get on my household network. The button is right there on the RAC2V1K router, but doesn't work for me. Per the router's operator manual, it could be disabled. I can't get to the GUI to find out or to use an alternate pin number to connect the printer. Same answer. Not going to give you access!

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 26, 2020

Kurt & Kissman - sorry to hear you are having some configuration issues - they are resolvable.

While colorful rants might be a tad cathartic - in general you will find more folks inclined to help if you skip the quirky pejorative/invective metaphors on pants and be respectful of the community guidelines on posts.

You have lots of option to change DNS on the router that you have including manual DNS and Dynamic DNS.

To change it manually: Toggle DNS from obtain automatically to obtain manually and then supply your preferred DNS servers.

Next - you may find it helpful to guide "why" you would want to change the DNS settings ie custom configuration ,performance, remote access to internal video cameras etc. There are lots of free third party tools that will benchmark the DNS performance so you can make better informed choices as to which DNS might work best for you whether it is the standard Spectrum servers, google , cloud flare, opendns or others . You can test the DNS with any of the utilities like this one https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

As for WPS - you also have the option to turn that on and off in the router as shown here.

Note the guide tip in red - the physical WPS button wont do anything if the WPS software setting is disabled.

Please let us know if that resolves the DNS and WPS issues you mentioned.

Oct 26, 2020

Lake802, would you be so kind as to show me how to get to the window you have displayed above?

P.S. Sorry about letting my frustrations come through. Nothing like spending hours online chatting it up with several "ask Spectrum" members only to be told nothing can be done.

Oct 26, 2020

Greetings Kurt - here is the recap on accessing your modem and changing those DNS settings.

The manuals/access guides for many of the common Spectrum modems and routers are listed here.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/modems-routers-wireless-adapters/

The access instructions are similar for your model router RAC2V1K Askey as they are for Sagemcom RAC2V1S and CommScope SAC2V1A

For your model router , you can download the guide from the Spectrum site and customize any of the settings to match your preferences

In general, the steps are navigate to the modem login page in your web browser usually https://192.168.1.1

enter admin for password and admin for user name

You can change those later.

On the right top of the screen click Advanced

Under the connectivity category, click the Internet Connectivity icon.

Under DNS, change the drop down from Obtain DNS automatically to obtain manually.

Add your preferred DNS server IP addresses.

More detailed explanations are on page 49 (Section 2.4.1.2.2 DHCP of your router manual.

The screens you see on the modem will ocassionally be slightly different/newer than the shots from the manual since you modem gui has been updated some since the time those manuals were written.

Please let us know if that resolves the DNS issue for you.

Oct 26, 2020

Lake802, Re: https://192.168.1.1. Been down this road. All I get is a page of router status. No opportunity to sign in.

Oct 26, 2020

Kurt - kindly post what url you are using to access the modem - it normally should look like https://192.168.1.1/0.3/gui/#/login//credentials

You can factory default that device and see if it restores management access.

If it doesnt - you can get it swapped out for one that works.

In general you should be able to access and customize the setting as shown in the manuals..

Oct 26, 2020

Lake802, I used exactly what you posted and what I posted. https://192.168.1.1. Response is: Basic Router Info. If I click on it, I get the "Basic Router Info" shown above.

I tried the extended login you just posted and every variant of it I could think of. The response is 'NOT FOUND'.

BTW, Had a Spectrum field tech over for another problem. He confirmed the SAC2V1K router has WPS disabled and no way to get to the GUI to fix it or enter the printer's PIN. So far, this seems to be common knowledge of Spectrum folk. You might check with HQ on this.

Oct 27, 2020

Kurt - Thanks for checking. If you are unable to access kindly ask them to swap it for a Sagemecom RAC2V2S. There is no reason that you should not be able to access the settings and customize to your preferences. Screen shots posted earlier to modify both the DNS and WPS settings were taken from an active residential modem - so you can be certain it definitely works.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 49 MOD
    Oct 27, 2020

@KurtB

If you visit 192.168.0.1 do you get the login screen for the router or the same screen you've been seeing?

Oct 28, 2020

No response.

Oct 29, 2020

Lake802, Ebay has Sagemecom RAC2V2S routers by the boatload for as little as $40. Why would I not buy one , return the SAC2V and reduce my spectrum bill by $5/month?

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,415 Lead Mod
    Oct 29, 2020

@KurtB A lot of people purchase their own routers. If you want to go that route you dont have to stick to that model if you want to use something else. We have quite a few here in the community who own and manage their own routers. If you have specific brands you are interested in they may have some feedback on those for you.

If you do go with purchasing one please do give us a call so we can remove that charge from your account!

Julia _R

Oct 31, 2020

@Kurt - would encourage you to take the first step - have Spectrum replace your current router, get access to the customization settings as a starting point. That wont cost you anything and will resolve the original concerns that you posted. Julia and other good folks on these forums have mentioned you can always add your own router for expanded wifi coverage and functionality.

If goal is stable , reliable connection, would encourage you to avoid some of the second hand items from Ebay. Most of the manufactures offer a 1 to 2 year warranty if you purchase a router new from an authorized source.

This discussion has been closed.