Setting up a new recording and the DVR is not recording the show

NewbeeNewbee Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
edited October 28 in TV Equipment Oct 27, 2020

Few weeks ago we got a new DVR.

I have setup HBO - The Undoing last week to record on Sunday. I didn't validate that it was setup to record.

Monday - I went to watch the recording and it's not there. I couldn't find the recording. I was able to see that the recording was in the priority list. So I recorded the show for Monday evening. at 9pm. It was about 7pm when I was checking. The show didn't display in the menu. I shut dvr off. Unplugged the dvr, waiting a few minutes and plugged back in. The Undoing was scheduled to record at 9pm. The show displayed twice in the priority list.

Tuesday - Today in the morning I checked to see if the show recorded and it didn't.

I also have a problem with The Goldbergs. We have it set to record all shows old and new of The Goldbergs. Last week was the first new show on ABC, the show would not record and doesn't display in the menu.

We have a new DVR its maybe 20% full. Hoping you have suggestions. I'm going to call Spectrum tonight

Best Answer

Replies

• NewbeeNewbee Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Oct 28, 2020

Satch,

Thank you! The technician is coming out tomorrow.

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,821 helper
    Oct 29, 2020

@Newbee ,

How was your service call?

Satch

Oct 29, 2020

Do you work for Spectrum?

The service tech was very nice but I'm not happy with Spectrum overall.

So he installed an amplifier, I have a newer home so how can my connection be weak.

I complained about the new DVR cloud and how it's not user friendly so he gave me the "old cable dvr box " back. Well, I think it's too old. It's a Time Warner box. So I'll wait a few weeks and go back to the store and ask for a Spectrum box that I had in the past. I have set my 2 recordings and I'm sure they will record cause I'm not using the cloud dvr

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,821 helper
    Oct 29, 2020

Do you work for Spectrum?

The service tech was very nice but I'm not happy with Spectrum overall.

So he installed an amplifier, I have a newer home so how can my connection be weak.

I complained about the new DVR cloud and how it's not user friendly so he gave me the "old cable dvr box " back. Well, I think it's too old. It's a Time Warner box. So I'll wait a few weeks and go back to the store and ask for a Spectrum box that I had in the past. I have set my 2 recordings and I'm sure they will record cause I'm not using the cloud dvr

Glad to hear that things went well!

No, I don't work for Spectrum, but have about 30 years of experience with cable technology. My advice, If the older box works well, don't swap it out! You never know what you are going to get in an exchange! There are many reasons why amps may be needed. New home or not. Just because a box has an older TWC logo on it does not mean that it is crap. The super old silver SA units are really slow, and those, should not even be on the line anymore IMHO. You didn't get that.....I hope!

But all the other models are fine. I also can not recommend the cloud DVR service at this time, there are bugs with it because of the new technology involved. Give it 1-2 years and it will be much better as it evolves. But if your signals are good and you have DVR service, I would stay with a conventional box.

Satch

Oct 30, 2020

I haven't had a chance to look on the Spectrum website which box we received.

Thanks for your help! Have a great weekend!

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,407 Lead Mod
    Oct 30, 2020

Morning all!

I still am using a super old silver SA box. I dont find the speed cumbersome at all. I dont watch a whole lot of TV on that, but its never been an issue. I mostly use my Roku. I have found that to be the best solution in my house. So many things are On Demand I have not really needed to use the DVR much in recent years. The library has expanded enormously, not to mention the 3rd party apps. There are some older shows I have recorded on re-runs but for the most part I dont use it much. Every household is different though and everyone has their favorite/preferred equipment and guide etc.

Hope you are having a great day!

Julia_R