Closed Captions- I'll try another question

cakecake Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Oct 27, 2020

Is it possible to have the CC from my Vizio tv displayed instead of the Spectrum tv CC?

I've tried turning on the CC from my Vizio tv but it doesn't display.

Reason I ask is because the Spectrum CC display is awful. Not clear at all- kind of blurry/fuzzy lettering.

Is there a trick to this?

thank you

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,812 helper
    Oct 27, 2020

What box do you have?

Satch

• cakecake Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Oct 27, 2020

Thanks for your reply

I have a Motorola ..HD Dual Tuner DVR

DCX3501-M

Oct 28, 2020

I had a Motrola now Arris 2-tuner DVR 3510-M. and a 6-tuner 3600-M. Are you in a former TWC/BHN or Charter legacy market? My guide was the ODN guide being in a former TWC market, and on the Arris Boxes, the CC's are the worst looking fonts by default.

I don't know what kind of guide you have as the software varies, but under Captioning, there are two options, "Choose by Program" and "Choose by Viewer" in "Choose by Viewer, there is a caption font called "Impress" and that looks much better than the default caption that the Arris box gives you. Some boxes don't allow users to pick selected caption fonts and some do. See if you can change the font to something better. I know what you mean though, the default font on the Arris boxes is often hard to read and letters look bunched together.

Satch

Oct 28, 2020

Hi, thank you Satch for your detailed reply.

I am new to Spectrum, just signed up two weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the options you mentioned.

I don't have:  "Choose by Program" and "Choose by Viewer" in "Choose by Viewer, also don't have the font  "Impress"

I tried ALL the options. They all pretty much suck though. What a huge disappointment for Spectrum.

I am seriously considering changing providers for cable TV viewing. I know this must sound so stupid to people but closed captioning is a must for me. It is very important.

I would love to have my Vizio TV's CC override spectrum's CC. But I don't think that is possible :(

thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    Oct 29, 2020

Hello!

You can find some information about that here: Closed Caption

You can select what guide you are using there. It is my understanding, and experience that your TV also has CC options. You should be able to turn off the cable box CC and turn on your TV set options. I have been known to have both on and it gets to be quite a mess.

Julia_R

edited October 30 Oct 30, 2020

Hello Julia

Thank you for your reply. I have a Vizio TV

I spoke to Vizio support- they said I cannot override the cable CC.

I have turned OFF spectrum cable TV CC and turned ON Vizio CC.. doesn't work.

How were you able to do yours?

p.s. I realize that the Vizio agent could have been incorrect in telling me it couldn't be done.

please let me know how you were able to do it on your TV

thank you

Oct 30, 2020

You can find some information about that here: Closed Caption

You can select what guide you are using there. It is my understanding, and experience that your TV also has CC options. You should be able to turn off the cable box CC and turn on your TV set options. I have been known to have both on and it gets to be quite a mess.

Julia_R

Hello @cake,

Sorry that this has been so frustrating for you! In @Julia_R 's Closed Captioning URL link above, can you tell us what kind of guide you have on your box please? You said that you went through the steps to try to change closed-captioning?

Also, where are you located? State, City, and Zip? My only suggestion just thinking about this is to visit your Spectrum Store to try to get a different model box with a different guide on it, and therefore Close Captions that are easier to read. You could have a tech come out, but as this issue is not related to a problem with cable services, just an opinion about disliking the closed-captioning fonts, you may be assessed a truck roll fee. No fee if you go to the Spectrum Store.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,402 Lead Mod
    edited October 30 Oct 30, 2020

@cake

I only had to go into my cable box and turn it off, then go into the settings in the TV and turn them on.

My TV is quite old. I am unsure if they have made a change to this. At one point I had both going and it was quite a mess on screen!!!

I found that I liked the style of the one from the TV better.

I am sorry I cant be more specific with your set. Knowing what guide you are using might help us track down what we can do to get this working right.

Edited : The CC should be sharp, come to think of it I have never heard this complaint... Do you find that the picture quality is off on the channels or is it just the CC?

Julia_R

Oct 30, 2020

@cake

This might work for you. But I am assuming that you are using HDMI Cable and I read somewhere in the deep long ago past that if you have HDMI cable connected to a CATV receiver, that some TV set's own CC's won't work. I have heard of this a while back

I am wondering, if you got some Component Cables, and hooked up your TV and box via Component Cables, the Vizio TV should be able to see the Closed Captioning I remember reading on my own 2009 Samsung TV Owners Manual the following, "Closed Captioning not avaliable through HDMI Cable." But since I use my cable box for everything, the cable box captioning works fine.

Set up your cable box with Component Cables, disconnecting the HDMI cables. Than do a cold reboot of the box, so that the box knows about the new configuration. You might have to also go into your box settings to change your setting off of HDMI Cable, That is why, if you could provide screen shots of your guide settings, we can see the type of guide that you have and can investigate further.

Now, just turn on the CC through your TV remote control, not your cable box. If you can see the CC captions provided by your TV this whole mess is solved! But, you will need to replace your HDMI cables with component cables. Remember that you will have a lot of cables back there with component cables, it is not like HDMI were you can run all equipment off of one cable.

If this doesn't work, we have to try to find a box with a different guide for you that has a closed-captioning setting that is more pleasing to your eyes, If you can provide your city, state, and zip, our mods might be able to check what boxes are being given out in your market.

Please post a screenshot if you can of your program guide so we can see what guide you have on your box. Spectrum has many guides and a photo of your guide will give us valuable information. There is new Spectrum Guide, ODN Guide (Formerly Navigator). Passport, I-Guide, and SARA. Thanks for your help to provide us in knowing that you have a DCX-3510-M box. That is an Arris (formerly Motorola.) Now we just need to find out what guide runs on it in your market and if they are giving out different model boxes where the closed-captioning fonts will be easier for you to see, Try the Component Cable hookup for sure!

Satch

Nov 03, 2020

Hi everyone.

I've been off line for a few days. Thank you all for your feedback.

the remote I have is the Black Spectrum Guide Remote. My zipcode is 97367.

I'm not good with a lot of technology so I depend on others to help me out and I usually believe them.

I was told that if I remove my HDMI cables & replace with component I will lose my Internet TV because I have an ultra 4k TV. That and Vizio support told me what I want to do cannot be done..

Right now I refreshed the cable box and everything went back to default settings- the CC is a lot clearer. It's ok, I really would prefer it to come from my TV set though.