**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Sagemcom 5280 Web GUI Access issue

LochlinLochlin Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 13 in Internet 2020 Archive Nov 04, 2020

Greetings, I have a Sagemcom 5280 and I cannot access the Web GUI portal. The only access allowed is through the MySpectrum App. This would normally be fine but I need to set up a WPS WiFi extender port and this can only be done through the Web GUI access. I have already gone to the http://192.168.1.1 but it only shows a basic portal info and points to use the App. I have also hardwired my computer to the router and still cannot not access the Router Web GUI portal. Please advice

Replies

• LochlinLochlin Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Update: I talked to Spectrum Tech Support and the wonderful Spectrum decision makers and engineers decided not to allow access to the Sagemcom 5280 Web GUI. There is no work around, therefore, you are not allowed to access all the tools and features of the "most advanced router", (Tech's words not mine). This is a woeful and ignorant decision by Spectrum, this is not a limitation of the Sagemcom equipment but restrictions put in place by Spectrum. The solution given by Tech Support was for me to purchase a separate router and use a non-Spectrum router. So Spectrum solution is to continue to pay for Spectrum service and product and then pay additional money for product and services.....

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,603 Lead Mod
    Nov 05, 2020

Good morning.

I am sorry to hear our router does not provide you with the options you are looking for. If you prefer to use your own router you would be able to manage your network without restriction. Not all families have the same needs, if our router does not work for your needs and you do decide to purchase your own please do contact us to have the charges removed for the WiFi services.

Julia_R

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 06, 2020

In this particular case I am absolutely on the side of the Spectrum techs, because it appears that you need to be protected from yourself. You are planning to use WPS, which is woefully unsecure and opens up both your home LAN and Spectrum's cable backbone transport to all sorts of outside WiFi intruders. You definitely need to change your design to incorporate a more secure handshake method.

This discussion has been closed.