Arris TM1602 v 1602A speed?

PingberPingber Posts: 1
edited November 10 in Connectivity Nov 10, 2020

Hello. I’m running an Aris 1602 on the 100mb service. I’d like to upgrade to 400, but will the 1602 handle it? I can’t seem to find any info.

Best Answer

Replies

• chuck142chuck142 Posts: 1
    Nov 23, 2020

I recently upgraded to the 400 mb internet. I encountered an interesting problem along the way. I noticed that my upload speed had increased three times, but my download was maxing out around 100 mb. After a good deal of research, I determined that I had old category 5 ethernet cables between my modem and router as well as between the router and hard wired computer. I upgraded to category 6 for all the cables, and my speed increased dramatically. I am now hitting speeds in excess of 200 mb on wi-fi and over 400 mb on ethernet connections.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 29, 2020

CAT-5e cables are fully compatible and usable with Gigabit Ethernet service. The difference is that (real) CAT-6 includes a foil shield and requires special RJ45-style connectors on both the cable end and the mating network device. I say "real" because in recent years many cables imported from factories in China do not meet the performance specs for CAT-6 wiring. There's no way to identify them without costly test equipment.

If your speed increased after you replaced the previous wiring, you probably either had premise wiring defects (often a crossed pair) or one or more counterfeit or damaged CAT-5e patch cables.