Are there DVR boxes with cooling?

BradLBradL Posts: 3 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Nov 11, 2020

And what is best DVR box to get?

My current box which has served me well seems to be dying and I want to replace it. Although it is in a cool, well ventilated area the box does get hot. So I am wondering if any DVR boxes comes with extra fans or something. Thanks.

Best Answer

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,908 helper
    edited November 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Hi Brad,

Get yourself an Arris or Cisco/Technicolor DVR over the Spectrum World Box. The Spectrum World Boxes with no clocks, give off more heat, and a lot of customers are not happy with them. Ventilation is critical!

1.) Don't put anything on top of the boxes for best ventilation.

2.) Keep them in an open space as much as possible.

You can optionally buy a small cooling fan at Amazon to put in the cabinet to keep the heat down.

Satch

• BradLBradL Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nov 13, 2020

Cool. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the replies.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 13, 2020

Yes, COOL is the magic word! Also remember that you will not be able to move any of your video recordings to a new Spectrum DVR.. Be sure you and all your housemates have viewed or archived everything before you switch to a different DVR unit.

• Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Is "activating" another DVR through Spectrum not needed anymore? I have suprisingly been able to go back and forth between my 6-tuner Arris 3600 and the new WorldBox I recently picked up (different DVR recordings of course) seeing which one i prefer....

That is one disadvantage of the new boxes for sure---definitely no stacking components (like the docsis) on top!

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,908 helper
    Dec 04, 2020

Hi Scott,

The changes in the technology are now getting to a point where box activation will PROBABLY be automatic when you bring it home for a self-install. On-line activation and call Spectrum activation are resources that are still there, in case there is a problem. Yes, an open cool source is best for those boxes and no stacking of components, because you will block the air vents.

The World Boxes run hotter than the clock boxes.

Satch

• Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Dec 08, 2020

In addition to heat issues and no clock...Is the Spectrum app still not working fully with the Worldbox DVR devices?

• PadgettPadgett Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Dec 18, 2020

Amazon has USB fans available for about a sawbuck. I have two 120mm to keep large things cool and have added heatsinks to a few. Small 20mm fan can keep a Roku or Fire stick cool. Works for me.

This discussion has been closed.