Rewind no longer working after channel change?

robertgambsrobertgambs Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Nov 11, 2020

Hello

I could be remembering it wrong, but I am sure I used to be able to rewind a channel after I had been watching it a while and then changed channels and then changed back. Now, it seems that when I change channels and then go back (A -> B -> A), that channel (A) is no longer rewindable. Actually, it seems like it is only certain channel that do this, but I can't figure out the pattern. Does anyone know if this behavior changed recently and why?

Thank you,

Robert

Comments

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,821 helper
    Nov 12, 2020

Hi Robert,

For best results on rewinding, you will need to get a DVR box and subscribe to DVR service. "Live" content that you see in the channel buffer often when the remote control's "Info" button is pressed is generally cleared when you do the following on non-DVR boxes:

A.) Change Channels

B.) Turn off the TV

The only other time that you can rewind with some conditions is if you are watching On Demand. A DVR box will allow you the functionality of recording, playing back, restarting, rewinding, and fast-forwarding your selected shows.

On some boxes, (The Guide software varies) you can rewind an existing show if you have not changed channels within a 30 to 60 minute time frame. This depends on the program guide software

Call Spectrum and ask about upgrading your service TV service to add a DVR. They often have specials for one year on new services, so ask the rep about discounts. They can get a tech out to your house to do the equipment update.

Satch

• robertgambsrobertgambs Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Nov 12, 2020

HI,

Maybe I should have clarified, but I do have DVR boxes and DVR service. My question is regarding a recent change in the way rewinding works and I feel like something has changed in its behavior. I have had Spectrum for two years with the same boxes and the same service. This USED to work just fine and nothing on my end changed. I was just trying to verify that others are seeing this behavior and it was in fact a change initiated by Spectrum/TWC and not something that had failed or was otherwise anomalous about my equipment or my service.

Thank you,

Robert

Nov 12, 2020

Hi Robert,

Thanks for telling us that you already have DVR service that helps a lot! I don't think there is anything wrong with your TV service, DVR, or signal. Rarely, but it happens about two or three times a year. Software updates can be downloaded overnight to Spectrum equipment. Best guess is that a software update was pushed to your box that did not allow rewinding after the channel is changed. The update most likely changed the behavior of the memory buffer.

For the record, I have always had my box buffer erased when changing channels or powering of the TV. I currently have a Cisco 9865 DVR. What DVR model box do you have? It sounds like service-wise you are OK.

Satch

• robertgambsrobertgambs Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Nov 21, 2020

HI,

I tend to agree with your assessment, although I don't particularly agree with the decision made by Spectrum to do this (unless there is some technical requirement for this). I have the Arris DCX3600-M. What is most confusing is that it does it on some channel but not others. For the record, this is a "feature" (or maybe behavior is a better word) that I had really gotten used to and actually saw as a benefit over the competition (it can actually remember 3 or 4 channels). I can work around it by recording everything I watch, but that seems like it would be more effort than is really necessary. I will be looking into upgrading our boxes soon and maybe that will help. Otherwise, thank you for your help.

Nov 21, 2020

Robert,

Are you in a former TWC/BHN market? because if you are with an Arris DCX-3600M box, you have the ODN software, And there is an amazing feature called "Recently Viewed" that will remember or recall the last 14 channels you have viewed whether they are live, DVR'ed or On Demand.

To use Recently Viewed, it should already be on by default, but if it is not, go to Settings, and it should be right there in the Settings Menu, or scroll to Display and it should be there. Turn this on, if it isn't already activated.

With Recently Viewed on, press either the Select Up arrow or Select Down arrow when you are watching TV. (And the Time Grid or an On Demand Channel menu is NOT showing.). A long strip of the last 14 channels you watched appears with the name of the show currently airing on that channel. Use the left and right arrow keys to scroll through the strip and select the channel you want to view.

I don't know if it remembers channels if the box has been turned off. I think it does1 If it does, it only clears when the box reboots or when you right arrow all the way to the right and select "Clear List."

Additionally if you are watching TV and not in a menu or guide screen, the Select up/down arrow brings up the Quick Access Menu when you turn on your box. The Menu button on the remote does the same thing. You can arrow up or down and select a prompt from this shortcut menu.. Pressing EXIT clears all the menu graphics.

Satch