Internet Dropping Several Times a Day

AndyRuseAndyRuse Posts: 1
in Connectivity Nov 19, 2020

Howdy from Texas, for several months June to now, I have had very reliable internet from you. For the last week, it has been terrible reliability and frequently drops. I work from home, as most do these days and it's starting to effect my productivity. I have a physical connection to my switch and it's hooked up directly to my Netgear NightHawk Cable Modem, CM1200.

Cable Modem Log shows critical errors.

Thoughts on this?

Andrew

Replies

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 19, 2020

Greetings Andy - sorry to hear you are having service issues. The details you provided were helpful.

Those recurring T4 errors in the modem log can be corrected by a Spectrum onsite technician service call.

They can usually pinpoint the source of the T4 errors, correct them and your service will go back to stable and reliable.

Kindly ask the technician to verify that the RX, TX and SNR are in spec and there are no new T3 or T4 errors in the log after they complete their corrections.

Please let us know how it goes after the service visit completes.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,438 ADMIN
    Nov 19, 2020

Hi @AndyRuse

Welcome to the community! I was able to locate your account based on your registration information. I am seeing that you have a service call scheduled for early next week. Let us know if it does not resolve the issue!

• misterjmisterj Posts: 118 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 19, 2020

AndyRuse, please post your signal levels and SNRs. What service do you purchase and what speeds does it measure? I recommend https://www.nperf.com/en/

The T3/T4 errors look like power up times and then they stop. Is this true? I had a single T3 and then no more and my connection is very stable.

Thanks and enjoy, John.

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 21, 2020

Greetings Andy - In general - none of the popular speedtests are super accurate. They are even less accurate when the modem is experiencing recurring T4 errors and other service impacting signal related issues. There are other variables that can cause wide variences in speed tests such as the version of the ethernet driver in the local laptop.

Misterj admirably helps many folks in these forums and seems to prefer Nperf. There is nothing wrong with that. For some perspective on speeds you can take a look at the tables below on speed tests done on Spectrum connection where modem was working fine, no errors in log and all signals in spec. What you will see is that the reported speeds are all over the place for the same connection and not really an insightful diagnostic as to how things are going on your connection.

Please let us know how things work out after you scheduled tech visit.