Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Setting your Spectrum Router to Non-Default Spectrum DNS: Firestick

rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Home Networking Dec 02, 2020

I have CBS All Access and for the past 2 weeks instead of showing me my local TV station, it had been showing a TV station out in Kansas. I live in Kentucky.

I had been changing my default Spectrum DNS addresses over the past years to either Google's DNS and more recently to Cloudfare DNS.

SO to make a long story short, I manually set my CloudfareIP DNS addresses back to Spectrum's, and reset my Firestick, andthe Firestick and CBS All Access started using the Spectrum DNS IP instead, and it solved my geo-location problem by it using Cloudfare DNS instead.

Another potential fix would be to manually change the DNS server IP addresses in Firestick itself and just leave your router DNS IP to whichever you prefer.

The fix came to mind because several years ago when I had my VPN turned on , and then used DirectTV Now , I would get local NYC TV stations.....when I turned the VPN off I would get my local TV stations again.

This discussion has been closed.