**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

RAC2V1S DHCP and Static Address

jaylatusjaylatus Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited June 17 in Internet 2020 Archive Dec 05, 2020

Just got the Spectrum RAC2V1S router. When I go into the admin interface advanced settings router config and click DHCP I get nothing. Can anyone help with:

1. Does the pool of allocatable DHCP addresses go all the way from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 ?
  2. If the DHCP pool encompasses all of the addresses, how do I allow a attached device to have a static IP address assigned to it ?Is there a way to allow a static IP address on this router
  3. Is there some user besides "admin" that will give me more visibility/control of the router?
  4. Why does the admin interface say "no devices connected" when in fact many are connected?

My chief question would be how to allow a device with a static IP address

Replies

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 07, 2020

Spectrum's management has decided that allowing users to access the internal router technical reports and controls caused them to receive more service complaints. Therefore they now program their equipment to deny user access to the controls and performance information.

Many of the technical support volunteers on the forums would typically recommend that you purchase your own separate router and manage both the router and the WiFi functionality yourself. This also means you can't be charged Spectrum's added $5 monthly WiFi management fee for the integrated gateway that they provide.

• rocketjetzrocketjetz Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 07, 2020

You can set static or reserved IP from the My Spectrum App on your phone or tablet....

No more web based gui interfaces

my Spectrum, Services, Router, Advanced Settings, Port Forwarding & IP Reservations, Create IP Reservation, click on the device, Reserve Ip Address

as you are aware, static and reserved IP have different meanings. Static usually implies outside the DHCP scope while Reserved usually means inside the DHCP scope. I can find no way to define the DHCP scope , where a static IP might be used. Your only alternative is to use a Reserved Ip within the DHCP scope.

I believe that the DHCP pool encompasses 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.254 as .255 is the broadcast IP

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 11, 2020

Actually, by definition a static IP address assignment MUST always be outside the router's DHCP range. Reserved addresses which are inside the DHCP range are handled using the MAC hardware address.

Last note, the DHCP in Spectrum's routers always reserves lll.aaa.nnn.1 for the router itself., so you must program the assignable range for the LAN network ports to begin at lll.aaa.nnn.2 or higher, I usually start my DHCP range at 50, which gives me 48 static slots.

• jaylatusjaylatus Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Dec 22, 2020

"my Spectrum, Services, Router, Advanced Settings, Port Forwarding & IP Reservations, Create IP Reservation, click on the device, Reserve Ip Address"

My "My spectrum" app does not have "advanced settings" under router

This discussion has been closed.