Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Add a second access point to the Technicolor Media Access TC8717T modem for use with Oculus Quest?

Major_MalfunctionMajor_Malfunction Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Home Networking Dec 07, 2020

Is it possible to add a second access point, (such as the NETGEAR AC1000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router), to the Technicolor Media Access TC8717T modem and gain internes access through that second AP? The desired goal is to use that second AP only to connect a single Oculus Quest VR headset with the internet and have no other devices present upon that Wi-Fi connection.

I have an ongoing "connection lost" issue with both my Oculus Quest VR headset and my laptop when connecting to the Rec Room server through the built in Technicolor TC8717T Wi-Fi service, the issue NEVER occurs when the laptop is connect directly to the CAT5 jack of the Technicolor TC8717T. Would I be able to connect a NETGEAR AC1000_(R6080), (see https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r6080), to the CAT5 jack on the Media Access TC8717T modem and then through that connection pair my Oculus Quest to the NETGEAR AC1000 to access the internet through the Technicolor TC8717T CAT5 jack?

Or is this configuration not possible with the Technicolor Media Access TC8717T modem?

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-MM

Accepted Answers

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 09, 2020 Accepted Answer

Yes, you can.

1. You will need to run a Cat5 / Cat6 cable from the Technicolor router to the location you want the second access point.
    2. You will need to set the "new" router up as a access point (AP Mode). You will need to assign a static IP address to the new access point. This address should NOT be in the range of your Technicolor's DCHP address pool. If your Technicolor router is set up to use 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255, and your DCHP server is handing out IP addresses between 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199, then assign your new access point an address of 192.168.0.2.
    3. The ethernet cable between these devices is connected to the LAN side of each of them.

If you are paying for home Wi-Fi, you can save $5 per month by having Spectrum turn home WiFi off, and setting your Technicolor modem into bridge mode, at which time you will need to set up your own router as a router, and not an access point.

• Major_MalfunctionMajor_Malfunction Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Dec 09, 2020 Accepted Answer

Thank you dstoffa, that worked like charm.

Running through the dedicated AP, configured as you suggested, I have had no "connection lost" issues when playing paintball via Rec Room. I am beginning to believe the onboard AP of the NETGEAR AC1000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi is faulty.

-MM

This discussion has been closed.