Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Audio Dropouts and Unavailable Channels

LeonDLeonD Posts: 5 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Dec 08, 2020

For months now I've been dealing with random audio dropouts. They can happen on any channel. It appears to happen mostly with popular shows. The show we watch that it happens most on is NBC's Tonight Show. And if I DVR a show with the dropouts, the dropouts appear on the recording.

I've had technicians out to the house three times to fix this problem. First time he replaced the set top box, second time he changed some connectors outside and third time, more connectors outside were changed. All three times, they left saying all signal levels look good. Later that night, the trouble reappeared.

More recently (this past weekend), I've gotten error messages saying that a channel was unavailable. On Saturday it was with ESPN and on Sunday it was CBS. Both times, popular football games were being played. And right after the games, the stations returned.

Not sure if the two problems are related but they both seem like capacity/bandwidth problems.

Any ideas what to do next? Thanks.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,659 ADMIN
    edited December 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Are the issues you described only on the set top box, or are you also using one of the apps? Do you recall what the error message read?

• LeonDLeonD Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Dec 08, 2020

It was only the set top box. I actually pulled up the station on my pad and streamed it to my TV.

I need to see if I can find the code. I did call in a ticket on the Saturday outage and the code should be on that ticket.

Dec 08, 2020

The code was: Spectrum STBH-3802

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,659 ADMIN
    Dec 08, 2020

Thanks. What is the model of the set top box and approximately how long have you had the box?

Dec 09, 2020

We have a Spectrum 210 box. We received it in February after we started having problems with our old, SA box.

Dec 13, 2020

Any ideas what to try next?

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 13, 2020

Good Morning @LeonD, I have reached out to our engineers to look into this further. If there is any update we will provide that information here.

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 13, 2020

@LeonD, I have received follow up from our local team and they are requesting a technician come back out to investigate this further as to why you are continuing to experience this issue. We can have a technician out today from 1-2pm if that would work for you.

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,991 helper
    Dec 13, 2020

@LeonD, I have received follow up from our local team and they are requesting a technician come back out to investigate this further as to why you are continuing to experience this issue. We can have a technician out today from 1-2pm if that would work for you.

As a follow up to the above,

Pixilation and audio drop outs are almost never the result of a bad box, but are often an issue with inside or outside wiring. Have the tech do a signal and drop line test. Try to avoid rebooting any equipment between now and your appointment to avoid a resetting of the signal error codes..

You can also set up signal monitoring with Spectrum for ESPN and CBS. I would recommend a 30 day signal monitoring. Discuss this with your tech.

Satch

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 13, 2020

When a network is not available during sporting events, you can safely assume that one of the sports leagues or franchises has invoked a blackout. It has to do with the business contracts that the networks sign to broadcast the events, so the participants can collect increased gate revenues at the event location. If Spectrum accurately geofences their network facilities for the blackout, you shouldn't be able to view those events using the app either.

This discussion has been closed.