Upgraded from 200mbps to 400mbps and internet speed feels much slower constant buffering/freezing.

SystemSystem Posts: 91 ADMIN
in Connectivity Dec 10, 2020

Comments

• alexis_jjalexis_jj Posts: 1
    Dec 10, 2020

same thing has been happening to me saw issues as soon as i upgraded have contacted customer service multiple times already bought a ethernet device to see if it fixed it and still nothing and techs have stopped by 3x already money money and more money thrown am paying too much for poor service I receive very unsatisfied with spectrum already going on three months of same issue and problem has not been resolved

• misterjmisterj Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 10, 2020

@alexis_jj if you own your modem, please tell us about it and post the logs that will tell us the signal levels and errors. seen. Both of you are probably running on DOCSIS 3.1 and used to run on DOCSIS 3.0. I have concluded that Spectrum has some serious problems with 3.1. You both will need to convince Spectrum service to correct these 3.1 problems. Sorry, John.

Dec 10, 2020

alexis_jj, if your ISP will allow you, I think it would be worth trying a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem. Let us hear if you try it. Thanks, John.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,469 Lead Mod
    Dec 11, 2020

@misterj if she is not already using a DOCSIS 3 modem she would very likely not have been upgraded without requiring a modem swap.

I think perhaps you meant DOCSIS 3.1? She can definitely do that, swap out if she is not already on a 3.1.. @alexis_jj If you can get back to us with some additional information about the issues you are having we can see whats going on.

Julia_R

Dec 11, 2020

Julia_R, this discussion was split, so I do not think we really know what happen before. Typically Spectrum issues new (3.1) modems for 400 Mbps. Some Spectrum ISPs have shown remarkable aptitude to give users poor performance on 3.1 modems including being locked out of statistics. A good 3.0 modem (3.0!) should support 400 Mbps with no problems and avoid the 3.1 problems demonstrated by some ISPs. Please notice that this user says "...same thing has been happening to me saw..." but we do not know what that is since that post is gone! Enjoy, John.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,469 Lead Mod
    Dec 12, 2020

@misterj The post it was split from is by UncleJoe88:in August. I included the text below.

When/If she gets back to us we can review and go from there. Hope you are having a good day!

"Same day I upgraded to 400mbps I quickly noticed the buffering. Live streams/live tv would look pixelated kinda blurry then sometimes clear then it would just freeze. That same night I called spectrum and told them about the issue. The person I spoke to on the phone told me the router/modem I currently had the Ubee all in one was outdated and for those speeds I needed a new router and modem. So I figured maybe that was the reason why internet was acting up. A few days ago I received my new equipment a Wave 2 router, modem and the problem is still there. I NEVER had this issue when I had 100mbps or 200mbps why am I having these problems with 400mbps when it was suppose to be an upgrade. I have no more than 5 devices connected to the wifi and they are not all on at the same time. I have my desktop computer connected via ethernet and I also have a powerline adapter connected via ethernet that gives me internet in my detached garage. A total of only 7 devices that I had no problem running when I only had 100mbps. It feels like my bandwidth is being restricted I don't know what else it can be. Everything is in the same place never had these problems before. Even my smart tv which is less than 12 feet away from the router has trouble streaming amazon prime at 1080p looks pixelated then clear. Wifi signal also feels worse I keep disconnecting from devices or I have to turn off wifi then back on. A tech is coming later on today but I know hes going to say "everything seems to be running good." Anyone have an idea of what it can be? Like I said everything is the same in my house I just upgraded the speed and my equipment was swapped."

Julia_R

Dec 12, 2020

Thanks much, Julia_R. Very kind of you. Enjoy, John.

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 12, 2020

Greetings Alexis - sorry to hear you are having service issues. The signal /speed issues are definitely resolvable.

As Julia suggested - we need a bit more info about the make/model of modem you currently have and the issues you are experiencing.

There is not much technical merit regarding anecdotal speculation on version of docsis (version 3 versus version 3.1) as being the culprit here.

If you upgrade your speed to the Ultra 4OO Mbps service - it can be made to work reliably.

Kindly let us know more about your set up. There are many good folks on these forums that may be able to offer additional insights and assistance.