Is this somehow me or an issue with Spectrum?

David_K_in_WIDavid_K_in_WI Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Connectivity Dec 11, 2020

I, like many others, have been working from home this past year with my household.

I've been having network issues and I think my upload speeds are being saturated during the business day. I recently paid for the 400/20 plan hoping that would help and started monitoring my speeds. I use around 5-10+ Mbps upload but that often doesn't seem available to me. I've tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to use some QoS settings but it's hard due to the fluctuation.

Is this a Spectrum issue? Is it fixable? Or do I need to deal with it?

I've not had the best experience with techs this summer, I had 4 come out due to a simple modem replacement - which they just gave me back the old one and said "everything looks good here", so with that, and COVID, I'm hesitant to reach out unless I need to.

Ping plotter from this morning. Because it's the first hop (to me), I wasn't sure if it was me or Spectrum.

This is the last few days, some of the drop is due to use, but I don't think it should be that excessive. The download (cutoff) is between 200-250 (not 400, but not my current issue) with occasional drops to 50 which is likely usage.

Tagged:

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,469 Lead Mod
    Dec 11, 2020

Hello!

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Are you able to login and obtain the FEC and the modem logs? This would help us with diagnosing the issues. You can also take a look at the number of channels you are seeing. You should always see 4 upstream. Normally you will see 24 of 32 downstream on most parts of our network,

Julia_R

• David_K_in_WIDavid_K_in_WI Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Dec 11, 2020

Hi Julia,

I do have access. I've attached the image below. I only have 3 upstream but have 24 downstream. I don't have much in my event log. Last entry is from 12/1 ("No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-") - probably last time i was messing with the device. Happy to share any other info.

Dave

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 12, 2020

Hello David - sorry to hear you are having signal issues. Kindly post the most recent page of the modem log.

edited December 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Date Time Event ID Event Level Description

11/24/2020 10:43   73040200   3   TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed;CM-MAC=XXX;CMTS-MAC=YYY;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

11/26/2020 15:33   82000200   3   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXX;CMTS-MAC=YYY;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

12/1/2020 3:25   84000700   5   RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=XXX;CMTS-MAC=YYY;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

12/1/2020 10:56   82000200   3   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXX;CMTS-MAC=YYY;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Masked the MACs.

The previous logs are in August. If there are other logs, I'm happy to provide those but this is what I see.

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 12, 2020

Thanks for the updated info David. Would encourage you to schedule another service call. While it understandably frustrating that the prior visits did not resolve issue , there are some specific steps you can take to get the issue resolved. Kindly ask them to provide you with a docsis 3.1 modem. Ask that the source of the T3 errors be corrected. Ask them to verify that RX, TX, SNR are in spec and that there are no errors of any kind in the modem log. On occasion, after those steps are completed, there can still be upstream issues that may be causing the problem. The onsite tech can do a referral to the outside plant group to get that corrected.

The issue is definitely resolvable. Please let us know how it goes after you next service appointment.

Dec 12, 2020

Can you clarify what good RX, TX, and SNR look like? My understanding is that these numbers were “in range” and OK. Is that not true?

Is the T3 error from nearly 2 weeks ago a concern?

Does this info look like an individual issue or upstream?

I’d like to understand some specifics, if possible.