VPN required for the internet to work

SeanW95SeanW95 Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Connectivity Dec 16, 2020

Hello, I bought a Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600 a couple months ago and have recently started to notice issues with my internet. Whenever I'm on twitch, discord, etc the websites/programs will randomly stop working both on my pc with ethernet and on my phone over wifi. I will still be connected to the internet but whatever I'm on will act as if my internet went out. Iv found that for some reason when ever I use my vpn it somewhat fixes the issue. It immediately allows me to connect to whatever I'm trying to use but with some lag included even when my download speed is good. There's no parental control or website filters so that's not why the vpn is somehow fixing it.

My download speeds go up to 300Mbps on my desktop with ethernet but I noticed on my phone connected to 5ghz wifi I only had 6Mbps at one point even though I'm next to the router

A speed test as I'm typing this

Phone 2.4GHz: DWN 43.6Mbps UP 7Mbps/5GHz: DWN 82.4Mbps UP 7.31Mbps

Desktop with ethernet:

Test 1: DWN 0.62Mbps UP 3.81Mbps

Test 2(take accouple minutes after the first one): DWN 28.50Mbps UP 3.56Mbps

Test 3(connected to vpn): DWN 42.69Mbps UP 4.82Mbps

In my router logs there are accouple different errors that I get multiple of

Critical: Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Warning: MDD message timeout

Warning: TEK Invalid - Invalid Key Sequence Number

Error: Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type

I have no idea what those errors mean and I'm not really sure what other info might help so if you need something else then let me know.

Replies

• SeanW95SeanW95 Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Dec 16, 2020

*I bought the Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600 used, not sure how I forgot to put that in there.

Dec 16, 2020

Internet just went out for a second

edited December 2020 Dec 17, 2020

got more info, right now while my internet is temporarily wacking out if i try to go to twitch.tv or speedtest.net then I get "This site can’t be reached" but youtube and I guess this website both work fine. When I use cmd to ping twitch.tv I get

"Ping statistics for 151.101.66.167:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 26ms"

Edit: A couple of minutes after having posted this my internet speed is now at DWN 101.44 Mbps/ UP 11.66Mbps

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 17, 2020

Hello Sean - sorry you are having service issues. The recurring T3 and T4 errors in the log are symptoms of a cabling/signal issue that can usually be resolved with a service call. Would encourage you to contact Spectrum tech support , ask that they schedule an onsite service call to correct the source of the T3 and T4 errors, verify that the signs are in spec (RX, TX, SNR) and that there are no errors of any kind in the modem log.

Please let us know how it goes after your service visit.

edited December 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Thanks for the reply, I will go ahead and give them a call tomorrow. I will let you know the results.