How does using a splitter affect simultaneous TV watching and Internet browsing?

PhyllisIEPhyllisIE Posts: 1
in Connectivity Dec 17, 2020

Spectrum's caveats about potential problems resulting from the use of a splitter to connect both a cable box and a modem (e.g., possible "loss of service") make me nervous, so I'd like to know what sorts of experiences--good and/or bad--users have had doing this and then watching TV and accessing/surfing the Internet at the same time. I have an Arris HD cable box and an LG HD TV, and I'm interesting in adding wired Internet service (not WiFi) to my Spectrum services. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• misterjmisterj Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 17, 2020

PhyllisIE, each added splitter will drop the signal level 3 dB. That is to say one half power goes to one side and one half to the other. I suspect most Spectrum users have at least one spliter and experience no problem. Enjoy, John.

• LGTLGT Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 17, 2020

If all the wiring is okay and the splitters are of high quality having splitters in line should cause no problems. As stated above pretty much everyone using Spectrum has at least one splitter in their system. Spectrum will only run one cable to a private residence, so unless you are internet or TV only you must have at least one splitter. The signal Spectrum sends to you should have enough power to handle any splitters you have in the system. If you have problems you should call Sprectrum and they will send out a tech who will adjust the power or add a drop amp if necessary to handle all of your devices.

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 19, 2020

Your modem (or combo modem / router) should be attached to the first splitter in the home, close to the demarcation point / ground block as possible. Every video STB in the home should be wired to the other half of that first splitter. Your modem needs the strongest signal.