Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Is there "one device to stream them all" ?

PadgettPadgett Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Spectrum TV - Other Devices Dec 18, 2020

Have a number of TVs. . One TV in family room is Android, bedroom TV is TCL/Roku, Sony in guest room is 2010 model.

Have a number of Roku devices and one Firestick. Have Spectrum, Amazon Prime, Disney +, and HBO MAX. No one device can receive them all, each TV needs at least one additional streaming device (and now see that Roku no longer supports Spectrum).

Is there just one device that can stream them all ?.

Best Answer

• LGTLGT Posts: 120 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 18, 2020 Accepted Answer

The simple answer to this is no. For the same reasons that if you look at the base plans for different cable companies they are all different. Heck, even if you are a legacy customer from TWC on Spectrum your base plan is quite different from the one you have if you came over from Brighthouse or Charter, even though they are all the same company now.

The reason behind this is the same as the reason for practically everything in the world. Money. Every streaming service and every device maker must come to a money agreement. If you are Spectrum and you are only going to get ten more customers by being on some less popular device it is not worth it.

Even if you find the “perfect” device, there is no guarantee that the service you like will remain there. Look at Spectrum and Roku. Roku was the first device Spectrum put their app on and now there is a chance that will end.

Replies

• PadgettPadgett Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 18, 2020

+1 on greed. Same reason HBO MAX is not available on ROKU, have to use Firestick or Android to get that. The good news is that for $17 a Firestick Lite is great.

However I believe the world is moving away from cable/satellite just as many have already left OTA (and the $16.95/mo charge for "Local" when I have a great antenna and about 3X the stations. is one of the detractors)

Probably around the first of the year I'll do another cost/benefit analysis that Sling almost won last year. Major difference today is the DVR capabilities for streaming nearly nonexistant. Have an external DVR but is about 5GB/hour and no index.

Be interesting if something new emerges (or a rethinking of something, the #6 could do it all), but definitely need "pause" (not available on everything).

Big news this year was a "cyber-Monday special" of a 75" Roku TV for $228, only real drawback is no numeric keypad.. RSN.

• dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Actually, HBO max and Roku made a deal.. HBO Max is now available on Roku devices, but the device needs to be running OS 9.3 or later (IIRC when I checked), My 2XS Roku's are running OS 9.1, so I couldn't use them if I wanted. I'd need to buy new Rokus.

Free Open Source doesn't exist in the premium entertainment world.

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    Dec 19, 2020

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community. One device that is the closest that I've come across to view all is the Google Chromecast. The device is nice because you don't need to download apps to it but you would cast your phone or other device to the Chromecast and you can use your device as normal and use it to control the content on the screen. The device works with every streaming service so far that I use such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, Spectrum TV, YouTube, HBO Max, Disney+, and every channel app such as Fox or Food Network. The device is also relatively inexpensive compared to having multiple devices on each TV.

-Tyleen

Dec 19, 2020

Except I do not often turn my phone on.

Dec 19, 2020

It can be cast from computers or tablets as well. I was just giving a suggestion as that is a device that can be used with just about any streaming app and service. I have yet to come across an app that does not have the option to cast to a Chromecast.

-Tyleen

• LGTLGT Posts: 120 ✭✭✭✭

Actually if you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) you can use Airplay to stream to your Roku, at least the newer ones. Some newer TV’s even will let you use Airplay directly.

The thing is I think most people don’t want to go this route. Just an opinion but I think most people want their TV to be an independent device from their phone or computer.

There are ways to get content to the TV, most computers have an hdmi output now so you can just plug the computer into the TV. You can get pretty much any service to stream to a computer, but again I think people want their TV independent of that. It might be a sad commentary on the state of things, but I think most people are using their iPads and iPhones for other things while the TV’s are on.

Added:

Maybe I inadvertently answered the original question. The one device to stream them all is a computer :).

Dec 19, 2020

With Chromecast you can still use your phone/tablet as normal. So it is essentially independent from the TV as you can call/text/play games/use other apps while it is casting to the TV.

-Tyleen

NP, HBO MAX is now on #6. Can reach Spectrum, Amazon Prime, Disney +, and HBO MAX + lots more from one device now, just updated three sticks and a TCL TV..

So for now at least the "one true device" is a Roku which means those ultra-cheap 75" TVs may be a bargain and if an older TV, the $17 Firestick is a deal if you already have a cable box.

This discussion has been closed.