Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Poor Playback Quality Recorded Shows

ajstorey915ajstorey915 Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Cloud DVR Dec 20, 2020

Has anyone else experienced poor playback quality on recorded shows? I am specifically using two AppleTVs one HD and one 4K with the Spectrum TV App, I have done all WiFi and network testing and do not have any speed problems there. I stream from many other apps with no payback issues. Sometimes the recording will be at what appears to be a lower bitrate for a short period and will go to a higher quality stream however most of the time, especially lately it does not change to the higher quality stream. My AppleTV is at version 14.3 and the Spectrum App is at version 1.52(4.9994559). I have closed out of all apps, restarted the AppleTVs and gone into just the Spectrum app however still get the same poor quality.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,018 ADMIN
    Dec 21, 2020

Have you tried restarting the modem as well?

• ajstorey915ajstorey915 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Dec 22, 2020

I have not restarted the Modem. I contacted support and they reset the line which cleared the problem temporarily however it stared back again. Since we don't experience issues with any other streaming service across this same internet connection I don't think the problem is the line. I was curious if others were having this issue because I was thinking it was more an issue with their back end service.

Jan 04, 2021

This seems to be an issue with the Spectrum app streaming service. Resetting the modem does temporarily fix the issue however it does come back. Hopefully Spectrum will improve their app and back end streaming service in the near future.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 06, 2021

Good morning!

Rebooting the modem and having no issues, even temporarily, would support the issue is

with your connection. We encourage you to post some details about that here so we can take a look.

Julia_R

Jan 06, 2021

Except that I have no issues streaming from Hulu, Netflix, CBS, Disney+, Zoom, etc. We have had a tech come out and check and fix some minor connection issues, with no resolution to the Spectrum App Cloud DVR playback quality issues. This is very specific to the Spectrum App Cloud DVR playback and is a Spectrum app or back end issue. When I do reset the modem that forces the app to totally refresh and connect back to the Cloud DVR service, just quitting the app or resetting the AppleTV does not refresh this connection, only a reset of the modem does that and then it works for a while but at some point goes back to a lower quality stream or whatever is happening that the quality looks terrible. The technician even said he has heard of other customers with this same issue. Hopefully Spectrum will improve their streaming service and Cloud DVR.

• WinterSoldierWinterSoldier Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    edited January 7 Jan 07, 2021

It sounds like the Spectrum app is under heavy load. If that's what it is, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to improve it as this is something Spectrum will need to fix on their end.

• CPALayneCPALayne Posts: 1
    Jan 19, 2021

I’m having same issues recently as JVJ83 noted above. It seems isolated to when watching playback while still recording. Shouldn’t we be able to do so? I never had that problem with previous provider.

This discussion has been closed.