Extremely Frustrated With Intermittent Issues
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been having issues with my Spectrum services for a very long time now, I currently have Phone and Net. My net has intermittent issues daily both my hardwired pc and Wifi and sometimes when I'm on the phone when people are talking it breaks up or they can't hear me. The modem has been swapped out more times than I can count and I've had numerous techs come out to my house including field supervisors and the problem isn't fixed still. The modem is showing several T3 timeouts(Event ID: 82000200) and TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed(Event ID: 73040200) errors the past week or so.
When I'm playing an online game or Streaming a movie it's pretty noticeable. When this happens I normally log off the game or stop the movie and do a ping test and there's often timeouts and high ms hops of over 200ms. For example.. I'll get 16 hops that are 15-25ms and then I'll get a timeout and then a few more normal hops and then 200ms. Then 15 hops are 15-25ms and then a timeout or just several high ms hops of 170-250ms or one or two hops that are timeouts. Sometimes it can go a decent amount of time where there's just normal hops of 15-25ms and only a spike here or there but constantly throughout the day there's bad issues as mentioned above.
Awhile ago one of the techs went up into the attic and sealed off most of the house due to the heavy amount of ingress that was happening. When they looked at the cable line that runs to the modem they chopped off about a foot of cable off because it was black. A couple people I talked to that work in the field said that the person who came out should have ran a new cable wire from the tap to the modem instead of just chopped off a portion of the cable all things considered. Recently another tech came out that replaced the cable wire from the tap to the attic because he saw there was an issue with it. Unfortunately after that and another modem swap there's still issues. So basically line from the attic to the modem is still the old wire and I'm thinking that may be the problem..
I did have cable /w a DVR box at one point but I would sometimes get macroblocking and other issues so I got rid of it.
This has been happening for such a long time.. it's just so extremely frustrating. I just want the service I'm paying for to work the way it's supposed to. This is the only internet provider I can get in my area so it's either this or nothing..☹️