Latency issue with VNC

MKFAYMKFAY Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Jan 10, 2021

I have a link to an office located about 10 miles from my house, and both are using Spectrum as the ISP. There are times when TightVNC just connects and immediately prompts me for the password. Other times, the program times out with a message that a reply wasn't received in a timely fashion. I installed a program to check my connection to various servers, and all point to a node in a local city as having intermittent lags, and that is the 2nd hop from my router. When the ping times are decent, I don't have any issues connecting to the office. Obviously this is disconcerting, as I am trying to monitor equipment at the office, so I don't have to drive there on weekends.

Tagged:

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,580 ADMIN
    Jan 11, 2021

Some additional information would be helpful. Can you provide a traceroute?

• MKFAYMKFAY Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
    Jan 15, 2021

The screenshot is consistent with other sessions I have done, and all seem to point at the Corning, NY node.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,496 Lead Mod
    Jan 15, 2021

If you will run a trace via CMD please, not to google please, to multiple different sites and some

extended ping tests. If you will post the entire trace. Just the bottom of the ping will suffice.

I would like to see both on and off the VPN please. 48.1 ms would not be considered a problem for most connections. Generally I would worry if we were looking at something over 80-90.

Julia_R

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17 Jan 17, 2021

One thing that I've observed about Spectrum is that names and IPs that appear on network devices can actually be the name and location of the next box upstream on that link, sort of an "I talk to" label. AND you can't trust that the name shown during a ping is actually the listed IP address; they don't always get updated when there's a spare box swap on a failed device during restoration after a major outage..