Spectrum TV tvOS app forced Apple TV out of HDR mode

skeeJayskeeJay Posts: 3 ✭✭

If an Apple TV has the video setting Format set to "4K HDR" and Match Content set to "Off" (as are the default settings), all video content should be up-processed by the Apple TV into HDR content for the television. This is indeed the case with all other apps on my Apple TV (including apps that don't natively provide HDR video content) except for the Spectrum TV app.

When opening or switching to the Spectrum TV tvOS app, the app always causes the Apple TV to automatically revert to an SDR signal, which in turn forces my TV to flicker and change mode to accommodate the non-HDR signal as well. This forces the TV to change mode when switching to and from the Spectrum app with any other app or the Home screen. How can I force the Spectrum app to allow the Apple TV to remain in HDR mode?

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 14, 2021

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community. Have you made sure that the app is updated to the most recent version? Also have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the app to see if that helps?

-Tyleen

• skeeJayskeeJay Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jan 16, 2021

Tyleen, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Unfortunately, I still see the same effect: a forced mode change for my TV whenever I open or leave the Spectrum tvOS app.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,496 Lead Mod
    Jan 17, 2021

Doing a bit of digging here. Our app does not serve any HDR content, this is due to our providing

live tv. Other applications, normally, are not providing live but buffered or On Demand style

programming.

Julia_R

• skeeJayskeeJay Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jan 18, 2021

Thank you for looking into the details, Julia_R. I can understand that none of the content in the app is HDR. However, with other apps that are not HDR content, if the "Match Dynamic Range" setting is turned off, they do not force the Apple TV to switch out of HDR mode… they are simply natively upconverted to HDR by the Apple TV. Why does the Spectrum TV app uniquely force the Apple TV to change mode, when other non-HDR apps do not?