Slow Internet Download Speed

dave0judydave0judy Posts: 23 ✭✭✭✭
in Home Networking Jan 13, 2021

First, trying to find out what speed I am paying for, is impossible on Spectrum's site. My bill says Internet Extreme (which I have tested at 50 mbps). Today, with my Roku buffering every 10 seconds, I tested the speed and it is around 25, which is about 1/2 what it was. Tried resetting the modem (Ubee DVW32CB) by pulling the power plug for 30 seconds, and also did the online website reset process. Still at 25. Have only tested speed via wifi, but knowing past tests of 50 and very little buffering, it is obvious there has been a considerable slowdown. Tried using their chat, but it is restricted to certain selections, not allowing an open question like most companies, and definitely no email customer support, which I prefer. So here I am, totally frustrated.

Replies

• misterjmisterj Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 13, 2021

dave0judy, please tell us what speed you pay for - do no know what Extreme means. If you can log on to your modem and see the signals and signal-to-noise levels, please post a screenshot here. You should call your ISP and report low speeds and ask for a site visit. Thanks, John.

• dave0judydave0judy Posts: 23 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 13, 2021

John, I have been trying to find out what speed I pay for, but my account doesn't show it online, and my bill only shows "Extreme Internet" and "200 Upgrade" as included. Using the Spectrum and other internet speed tests online, I previously was hitting about 50 download, but now getting only from 19-25. Logged into my router and could not find anything on signal or signal to noise ratio so lost on that one. Not sure why I should be working with an ISP, as I am not talking any website here, except those that I am using the speed tests on (and again, using 4 that I found, they all were in the 19-25 range. I am talking about the coax connection from Spectrum to the Router and wifi/ethernet from there to my Roku device (which was the first clue I was having a drop, by buffering every 10 seconds, and a wifi warning check advising a download speed of 7 mbps.

edited January 13 Jan 13, 2021

dave0judy, all of your Internet traffic goes through your ISP (Spectrum). You must talk to them to get this corrected. It sounds like you have 200 Mbps as I do. I measure everyday using https://www.nperf.com/en/

and measure about 235 Mbps each time. Please try it and let me know. Here is a screenshot of the statistics in my modem:

Thanks, John.

EDIT: All speed tests should be run on an Ethernet connection never Wi-Fi.

Jan 14, 2021

John, Was checking on my Laptop (wifi) and using the speed test you provided, today was 30/12. But having my desktop connected by ethernet, I tried there and yes, big difference 233/35. So Obviously I am getting the 200 speed, but curious why such a difference between ethernet and wifi. My Laptop device is only about 10 feet from my Router but through a wall. The Roku device is also about 10 feet away, with no obstruction being totally open through a doorway. The Roku wifi connection shows excellent signal strength but only 13 Mbps Internet download speed.

Jan 14, 2021

I will download the software you mentioned. But for now, I am using Spectrum's Router Ubee - DVW32CB, and HP Laptop MD-17-x116dx. Not sure the laptop has any effect, as I am getting a lower download speed on my Roku device, directly in-line with the router with no obstructions (7 mbps). and 10 feet away.

Jan 14, 2021

Downloaded NetSpot and do not know what screen shot you want. the main screen shows many available signals including the one I am using. Do you want just the one I am using, and if so, if you want the details, which tab do you want (Signal, Tabular, 2.4Ghz (the one I am using), or 5 Ghz????

Jan 14, 2021

Here is my NetSpot (FREE):

Jan 14, 2021

dave0judy, please show the Discover screen for all it can see. The shot I displayed shows all connections that can be seen in my home. This will tell us what kind of traffic you have in your area. I have only mine own usually. Please do obscure the BSSIDs as I did.

edited January 14 Jan 14, 2021

John, I have over 2 pages of connections. One page comprises just 2 (Compass Resident and Compass Guest) so I do not know why it was duplicated as it was.

This is an apartment setup with fibre, however as it does not have ethernet ports, I cannot use it with my VOIP and NAS drive, so I continue with the router.

My current one is the WIFIEBEC34 (2.4Gb), as some of my devices require. So to keep all within the same network, this is my connection.

Just curious, as I have about 10 devices drawing wifi from the router, even though only one or two are active at a time, will this lower the download speed?

Thanks, Dave

Jan 15, 2021

dave0judy, are you really limited to 2.4 GHz connections? How many connections do you personally have. Please make the view wider so we can see the mode (802.11a,b...ax). Hard for me to say about multiple unused routers. Looks like you are stuck with a huge lemon. Could you use a 5 GHz band to see how it works? It could really limit the competition quickly. Lets see where this goes, but you may need some professional help. Thanks, John.

edited January 15 Jan 15, 2021

The Band is "n". Not unused routers, just a bunch of "devices" using the wifi from my one router. Most are Alexa echos (4) and connected lamp plugs (8), along with about 4 Rokus, 2 smart TV's, a smart phone, Laptop and tablet. As I said, "unused" that I may be actually using one Roku and one Echo at a time with my Laptop, but probably some are actively passing data in the background? The Amazon Echo's and plug require 2.4 Ghz, as according to the instructions won't work on 5 Ghz. Spectrum installed Fibre, but directly to internet (no cable), just providing direct wifi. VOIP and NAS drive not wifi so needs Ethernet connection, so Router is needed. I have played with 5 Ghz, but not much difference. All are accessed via computer apps, on same network, hence need for NAS Drive via ethernet, router required and cannot use Fibre wifi.

Jan 16, 2021

dave0judy, sorry I cannot help you. You need someone onsite to make changes to your wild setup. In general remove anything that is not being used. The higher protocol speeds are usually supported on 5 GHz and not 2.4 GHz. 2.4 does tend to penetrate walls better. I think you are confused about fiber versus cable. Both are transport systems and if they end in Wi-Fi, they are the same. I run 5 GHz on ax and only n on my old iPad since it does not support 5 GHz. I will ty to answer specific questions. Thanks, John.

Jan 16, 2021

Understand John,

Thanks for your indulgence.

Dave