Call Guard is Now Available! (Or Soon Will Be Offered) FAQ Thread

SatchSatch Posts: 3,908 helper
edited January 13 in Digital Phone Jan 13, 2021

I am creating this thread as an FAQ for questions and answers about Spectrums new Call Guard Service, which is going to replace Nomorobo and block spam, robocall, and telemarketing calls for customers with Spectrum Voice (Landline.)

Users are automatically opted-into the Call Guard service when it is avaliblle To see it, log into "My Accont" and go to Spectrum Voice Settings, Manage Call Guard. You probably won't have to do any managing, because it will be turned on, and an additional, block spam calls is also automatically turned on. You can allow numbers that are important that may be accidently blockedSee a list of blocked calls. You can also report calls that SHOULD be blocked, but are not getting blocked to Spectrum.

I have a few questions:

1.) Are calls going to do a one ring screening process, like they did with Nomorobo? Or are they blocked even before the first ring?

2.) If Caller ID on TV (offered for subscribers of Spectrum Cable TV/Spectrum Voice) is turned on in a Spectrum Receiver's Settings, will we see the spam calls like we did with Nomorobo, except they can't leave a mssage after the first ring? Or are messages blocked, before we even see them on Caller ID on TV?

3.) I can't figure out this one. There is a slider switch on the far right turned on by default to be notified of Spam Calls? How is this different than conventional blocking? What happens if this switch is turned off? Do we need to report Spam Calls that show up on "Caller ID" as Spam Calls? Or does Call Guard already know that it is a spam call?

Providing this thread for community input and for members to provide their own questions and answers about the new service! It looks great so far!

Satch

Tagged:

Best Answer

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,908 helper
    Jan 13, 2021 Accepted Answer

Got some more information about Call Guard:

Calls should be blocked without ringing through with Spectrum's Call Guard enabled. In contrast, Nomorobo relies on calls being filtered through them via Simultaneous Ring and Caller ID information gets passed along at the first ring. That's the reason why there is the one ring with Nomorobo. There's no simultaneous ring at play here with the new solution, so no one ring. And there should be no reason to see the alert pop up on TV.

Caller ID's "SPAM RISK" Alert's is probably just a way to identify or tag a potential spam call that isn't blocked. No different than various email systems that put [Likely Spam] in brackets in the subject line of an email, to help identify a potential Spam Email, but not a strong enough threat that a filter would block it.

Satch

Replies

Jan 14, 2021

A very small Call Guard Voice Zone Settings Bug (Firefox Only:)

In Firefox, if you go to your Voicezone Settings and Select Call Guard, than Manage Call Guard.. It will only take you to a blank white screen. This is where you have all the settings for Voice Consolidated in one place. This works fine on Microsoft Edge. I don't have Google Chrome to test. This is on Windows 10.

In Firefox, if you go your account, and than go down on the right-hand side to "Manage Call Guard" That will open up fine. (Photos added to illustrate.)

Satch

• rgyrgy Posts: 1
    Jan 14, 2021

I found out about call guard because my nomorobo service wasn't stopping much at all. I was getting lots of computer generated voice calls from social security, amazon, AT&T, etc. Never used to get those calls. So I checked to make sure my spectrum settings hadn't somehow changed and discovered CALL GUARD. Everything is on for Call Guard but I NEVER NEVER got scam calls like I now get. As for me I'm not happy. That single ring system worked great. Spectrum says it is better because you don't have to activate it but that's lame! Once activated, it worked!

Jan 14, 2021

I found out about call guard because my nomorobo service wasn't stopping much at all. I was getting lots of computer generated voice calls from social security, amazon, AT&T, etc. Never used to get those calls. So I checked to make sure my spectrum settings hadn't somehow changed and discovered CALL GUARD. Everything is on for Call Guard but I NEVER NEVER got scam calls like I now get. As for me I'm not happy. That single ring system worked great. Spectrum says it is better because you don't have to activate it but that's lame! Once activated, it worked!

Hey @rgy,

Call Guard is working great here and in the markets and people with whom I talk. What I would do is consider getting a Twitter account or log in to Twitter, if you already have a Twitter account. Than go to the @AskSpectrum page. Follow that page. Than, send a private message (DM) with your account information, and let Spectrum know that you have everything turned on for the new Call Guard on Spectrum Voice, but calls are not being blocked, like they were with Nomorrobo. Ask the Spectrum Voice team to investigate the phone on your account, cuz something is wrong. They will be able to expedite this issue Let them find out what is wrong. Sounds like something did not carry over correctly. Good luck1

Satch

edited January 17 Jan 17, 2021

Small bug,

Some reports that although the calls are being blocked from leaving messages and the "Spam Risk" when activated is identifying potential spam calls as it should, the small issue is that on some accounts in "My Account", the blocked caller list is not populating with blocked calls..

Satch

• FishermanFisherman Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday 8:25pm

Why can't use both NOMOROBO and Call Guard simultaneously in the future. I know for a fact that NOMOROBO blocks some calls that Call Guard misses, and Call Guard blocks some calls that NOMOROBO misses. It would be nice to have both. Seems it should be possible, as NOMOROBO exists as simply a second number on the simultaneous ring option. I have also worked closely with Aaron (the inventor of NOMOROBO) since it's inception to help identify bugs and suggest improvements with his system.