Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

WPS Button not working

Barcelona19Barcelona19 Posts: 1
in Home Networking Jan 15, 2021

I just phoned support and they told me that the WPS doesn't work on the the SAGEMCOM SAC2V2S which I find unbelievable considering most people have wireless scanners and printers. One rep told me I would need the port number for both devices and told me to phone the manufacturers. Why? Aren't you supposed to assign the port through the router? Also, I don't want to open up the device to the outside world. The other told me it doesn't work and that I would need to go to the store to switch out for one that has WPS. She told me that she couldn't even guarantee that they would have another device. I asked if they could ship one and was told that the they had no control over the device that would be sent out and that I may receive the same device.

Another Saturday wasted.

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 286 MOD
    Jan 16, 2021

Hello @Barcelona19 and welcome to the forums!

In general, WPS is less secure than using the standard of WPA2. Most devices should connect to the network without needing the WPS button to connect. The router that you have, the WPS button is disabled and will not work. There would be no guarantee that if we sent you a new router that the new device would have a functioning WPS button as this is an older standard and this is newer equipment that you have.

Thank you

Paul_B

• Sonntag_101Sonntag_101 Posts: 1
    edited February 12 Feb 12, 2021

So I may have found a work around. I have an HP 6055, wireless only. I wanted my PC, with no Wi-Fi, to connect to the printer. Tried the WPS to no avail. Here is the fix...using my laptop with Wi-Fi , I downloaded HP smart app> Created an HP smart account to access advanced printer settings.>add/setup a printer.>follow the onscreen directions. Once this happens successfully the printer should now be visible on your home/work network. I am now able to print from my hardwired/non Wi-Fi PC. After 20 hours of trying, success! If you don’t have a laptop you may be able to use your phone but I’m not 100 on that.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 25, 2021

That's what happens when you purchase a printer that doesn't offer an Ethernet or USB wired connection to your PC., The WiFi radio also may only have the 2.4 GHz band, so your number of channels and speed will be rather limited.