Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Spam ramping up again?

txrattlertxrattler Posts: 39 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 5 in Internet 2021 Archive Jan 16, 2021

Is anyone seeing an increase in spam? It usually gets really bad around the holidays but it's now the mid-Jan and it seems to be continuing unabated. I wonder if the Spectrum email team is aware of this.

Replies

• EddieAEddieA Posts: 104 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 16, 2021

After quite a while of not getting hit with spam on my ca.rr.com account, it seems to have ramped up again to ridiculous levels

What I want Spectrum/Comcast/Charter (which appears to be the entry point) to explain is how the spammers have got hold on this address and what they are doing to stop the flood. I have NEVER given this address to anyone, ever, but I'm now getting more spam on this account than my 4 other accounts combined, which have been used to sign up to websites, mailing lists, and everything else that requires a sign-in.

• LGTLGT Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 17, 2021

It is on the increase and not just for Spectrum. I have an old msn account and they are getting hit too. The msn account allows you to see every spam email you get in a special spam folder. I got 147 spam emails in ONE day. Only two made it to my inbox, so I didn’t have to look at the majority of them.

That being said, Spectrum seems to have some of the weakest spam blocking software out there. Tons of stuff gets through.

Please, please, please before all you Spectrum apologists post about getting a third party email service I already have three. We know there are other options for email. The thing is part of the money I pay for Spectrum goes for email service., so I expect them to get it at least a little right. If they can’t do it fine, discontinue the service and give me the fifty cents off my bill a month.

If I buy a new car from Toyota and the radio stops working a week later and I return the car to get it fixed, I don’t want Toyota telling me just buy a radio from an electronics company, Toyota makes cars. No one would accept that. If you sell a service make it work.

• BeeperBeeper Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    edited January 20 Jan 20, 2021

The spam started again 12/14/20 to all but one of my Spectrum/Time Warner email addresses.

In reply to Eddie A, there was a data breach in 2019 and Spectrum.TWC email addresses were taken and Spectrum customers continue to suffer. They got my sister's email address who never used or gave out her TWC email address because she uses encrypted email. When the spam/phishing emails start, all of my legacy RR. email addresses get hit, except one new one that I created in mid 2020 after the data breach. I haven't received a single spam on that one and I use it on ebay. Other people that I know also get the same phishing emails from the same source. I don't use an address book that would have been compromised.

Once again, like the last occurrence, all of the phishing emails that I currently get are from 1and1.com aka ionos.com. Forwarding them with headers to 1and1.com has had no effect at stopping them. I also mark all of them as spam in the web mail with no effect whatsoever. None of them are being blocked as spam in web mail.

At the same time, when I forward myself an email it goes in the web mail spam folder as do legit emails from ebay.

Horrible spam control by Spectrum. The unreasonable work around is to create a new Spectrum email address.

Spectrum, if you are listening, the phishing emails are generated from 1and1.com. Please do something.

Jan 21, 2021

All the spam I'm seeing is coming from a Google (GMail ??) server/address.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 22, 2021

Hello. Most email providers have a way you can report abuse from their subscribers/users. In this case you are receiving them from Gmail addresses.

In Gmails case you can visit Gmail Help and report the offending email addresses.

This is generally the best way to stop that type of email abuse as they are able to track the user and lock the email address if they are found to be violating the policies/terms of use.

Julia_R

edited January 22 Jan 22, 2021

In response to Eddie A.

The email address doesn't necessarily indicate the network where the email originated.

You need to use the IP address in the header to look up who owns the network where the email originated. Whois look up.

All of the phishing emails that are currently targeting me and the Spectrum customers that I am aware of, are originating from 1and1.com network.

Jan 23, 2021

@Julia_R Here's a couple of the example e-mail addresses:

a.lexgiz.bo+MTU0OTg0NTYxNDQ4NDY4MTUxNDY4NDE2N[email protected]gmail.com

andre.apamatz831+KzAzMDAzMzMzMzAzMDMwMzAzMDMwMzAzMDMwMzAzMDMwMzAzMDMwM[email protected]gmail.com

r.k.or.ablef+060606060606060606060606060606060606060606060606060606060606060[email protected]gmail.com

So, I doubt reporting them will get very far.

@Beeper No, I'm not going by the mail address as I know can be spoofed so easily. I'm going by the headers, like these:

Received from mail-ej1-f44.google.com ([209.85.218.44]) by cmsmtp with ESMTP id 2NFelOcZlG6Bo2NFelSt90; Wed, 20 Jan 2021 23:51:03 +0000

Received from mail-lj1-f180.google.com ([209.85.208.180]) by cmsmtp with ESMTP id 3Ma6lBFaUdhXN3Ma7l3TdK; Sat, 23 Jan 2021 17:20:16 +0000

The next header in the chain is always a charter.net, like these:

from p-impin018.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net ([47.43.26.159]) by p-mtain002.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net

from p-impin021.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net ([47.43.26.176]) by p-mtain014.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net

Checking a little deeper, I do now see one not from a fake GMail account. That one originated from larkin.com.

Cheers.

Jan 25, 2021

Response to EddieA

When you look for the originating IP address. start from the bottom of the headers and go up.

It will be the first one up from the bottom. The name at that point can be spoofed, but not the IP address.

Then look up what network owns that IP address. At the Whios look up it will list where to report abuse.

Now I just started receiving phishing emails from Google Cloud network to an email address that hadn't been targeted by 1and1.com. They are the widely used phishing emails spoofing USPS and CVS. Google Cloud actually responds to abuse reports, unlike 1and1.com.

• txrattlertxrattler Posts: 39 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 26, 2021

For me at least, the spam assault seems to be getting worse by the day. I agree with the OP on this thread, I created a new email address about 2ish months ago and lo and behold that is the only email address that doesn't get any spam. It kinda validates the data breach theory occurring circa 2019. My other email addresses were older but NEVER shared and they are getting hammered. Not sure if the breach was ever officially acknowleged, I dont' remember seeing anything from either Spectrum or Time Warner indicating any such thing.

I wonder if Spectrum is aware that their users are under heavy assault by spammers.

Jan 27, 2021

@Beeper Just like I said, Google: CIDR: 209.85.128.0/17

Cheers.

• frothy333frothy333 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    Jan 28, 2021

The spam assault is getting worse by the day. I'm still convinced Spectrum had a breach in the recent past, possibly right before the Time Warner changeover b/c @nc.rr.com email addresses that I have NEVER used publicly also have the spam. Every single mailbox and alias gets spammed.

• PeachesPPeachesP Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Jan 28, 2021

My rates just went up again......is it too much to ask Spectrum to repay my loyalty with someone paying attention to the spam which has dramatically increased as OP's have discussed. BTW, loyalty might be the wrong word, captive, might be better.

FIX YOUR SPAM FILTERS PLEASE!!!!

Jan 29, 2021

The spam assault was pretty bad today and it is getting very frustrating!

I believe this forum is for users/customers to help each other. Not for Spectrum to support or help its customers beyond canned responses.

However, I've heard Spectrum is more responsive on Facebook and/or twitter. It might be worth bringing it to their attention on social media. To me it looks like they are not aware that their users are under heavy attack by spammers.

• retiredafretiredaf Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭
    Jan 31, 2021

Hello everyone,

Over the past couple of months my spam email has been steadily increasing up to 5-10 messages a day and the spam filters don't seem to be helping very much. I was able to check the sender properties using an older version of outlook and most seem to be coming from GMAIL but the username is just a jumbled, random string of characters. I keep dumping all these to my spam folders and even used the "add to blocked sender/blocked domain" buttons. Is there anything else better I can do or is this something Spectrum needs to address on their end? Anyone else seeing this trend? I know these things seem to go in phases as people learn to skirt the spam filters.

• PeachesPPeachesP Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Jan 31, 2021

I have been somewhat successful in training Thunderbird in filtering the spam into a spam folder. My problem with this is that everyone in the house is dealing with spam on their computers. We all receive the same spam every day which tells me the problem is at Spectrum and no place else.

I don't do social media. The atmosphere is so toxic these days. So, Facebook, Twitter and the rest of them aren't going to help me much.

I have resorted to sending every spam I got onto [email protected] Perhaps somebody there pays attention. It's just so frustrating to pay so much for a service that doesn't seem to care about such things as the safety and security of their customers.

Feb 07, 2021

Has anyone noticed that Spectrum's spam filters appear to be catching a lot more spam? I usually empty out the spam folder daily ( 1 or 2 spam emails at best) but over the last two days I've noticed that between 10-18 emails are now making it into the spam folder automatically i.e. the filters appear to be correctly detecting the spam. I have also been marking the emails as spam as I go through my inbox. A small bit of progress?

edited February 23 Feb 23, 2021

The phishing emails, all from 1and1.com network had stopped for a short time, but have started to trickle in again.

This discussion has been closed.