Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Why is my caller ID now showing "Data Error"?

debodundebodun Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
in Digital Phone Feb 08, 2021

Since a new phone modem was installed, my phone caller ID is showing "Data Error".

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,644 ADMIN
    Feb 09, 2021

Sorry for any frustration. Have you tried restarting the phone modem? Restarting typically resolves most issues.

• debodundebodun Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 09, 2021

If you mean by re-starting is unplugging it from the electric outlet, waiting a minute and plugging it back in, then yes.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,546 Lead Mod
    Feb 10, 2021

What type of phone are you using? Ive not heard this problem before. Is there by chance a way to

reboot that phone system/set?

Julia_R

Feb 10, 2021

Tried re-booting. I have two phones with their individual caller ID modules. One phone with the NYNEX unit is okay. The one with the Radio Shack unit is the one that is giving the error. I also tried switching the modules but the Radio Shack still gave "Datat Error", so it is something suddenly amiss with that module, Putting in fresh bateries didn't help, either.

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,972 helper
    Feb 10, 2021

Hey All,

I grew up in the late 70's early 80's when Radio Shack was HUGE. Some may remember the TRS-80 computers, home stereos, sound systems, and the big electronics catalog. I just did a search for Radio Shack Phones on Google, and there is nothing new about Radio Shack or Radio Shack phones. Lots of Amazon, Ebay, second hand retreads.

I could be wrong, but I have not heard of any Radio Shack involvement in any type of new technologies for decades. If anyone knows that they are doing modern technologies, please post in this thread.

My best guess is that the Radio Shack phone is very old, and does not have the hardware to support Spectrum's new phone technologies. If this is true, you would need to replace the Radio Shack phone with a unit from a more mdern phone company.

I miss Radio Shack! The stores and big catalogs.

Satch

Feb 11, 2021

I also noticed that the dial tone pulses instead of being a steady tone.

Feb 11, 2021

Well,

I would swap out that Radio Shack phone. Don't go to any online discount places. Get a quality land-line phone system. I am a HUGE fan of Panasonic Products! (My first stereo as a kid was a Panasonic, back on Christmas morning 1976! Worked for about 30 years! The only thing that stopped on it was the LED Radio station light dial on the receiver conked out. But sound was still very good. I also have used Panasonic landline phones. We have a Panasonic/phone answering machine combo in our den, works great! Here are some Amazon reviews of Panasonic phones. I wouldn't get the cheapest, go about middle ground price-wise so that you have a good quality phone. Our Panasonic phone worked with Spectrum landline phone right out of the box. We had it back when the old Time Warner was still around:

Satch

edited February 11 Feb 11, 2021

It's not the phone - it's the caller ID module. It's a Radio Shack Caller ID 320.

Feb 11, 2021

I would swap out the Radio Shack caller ID module. Of those Panasonic Phone/Answering Machine models at Amazon that I linked to above. The module for Caller ID is built right into the system.

WOW! It looks like Radio Shack IS back!

But I don't think it is going to have the widespread momentum it had in the 70's-80's. I would still recommend a phone/answering machine built in from a widespread well-known modern company. The Caller ID system will be built right into the phone. What it comes down to, is that the Radio Shack Caller ID module does not work with Spectrum's phone system to show a proper name/number caller ID field.

As a sidenote, do you have Spectrum CATV service? If you do, and have Caller ID turned on for your cable box, do you also get a "Data Error" message on caller ID on TV?

Satch

Feb 12, 2021

I have cable TV but probably not the "box" you mean. I only have a DTA converter box. I have a corded phone with a built-in caller ID, but there's no dial tone on that now.