**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Device Caching?

deckarddeckard Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Feb 09, 2021

I had to replace my Arris cable modem and the store gave me an ET2251. I connected it FIRST to one of my home laptops as a test and it was able to pull the IP address (modem came up in bridge mode like the last one which I want) and get online. However when I swung the cable to my home router which is where it NEEDS to be to run my network, my router couldn't get the address via DHCP. I put the cable back into the laptop and it can get the address and get out. So I swung the cable to another of my network devices (Netgear WAP) and it also couldn't get the address via DHCP. Again back to the laptop and it works. This sounds like some kind of device cache stored somewhere in the Spectrum network. Resetting/rebooting the ET2251 doesn't help. I called and got a tech dispatch setup but in the meantime is this something known with a fix? This new modem otherwise works fine, speeds are correct, voice works...it simply will only allow my laptop to get the address and connect, no other devices.

Best Answer

• deckarddeckard Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Feb 10, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hi there, yes I did but I finally figured it out. There must have been a storm that caused a weird surge that fried the Ethernet port(s) on the old Arris and continued up the cable and partially fried the WAN port on my router such that it SEEMED ok but wasn't. I pulled my old rickety router out of mothballs and it was able to get online right away on the new ET2251.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,824 ADMIN
    Feb 10, 2021

Hi and welcome!

Have you tried a factory reset on the router?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 14, 2021

If you suspect a power line surge passed through from the outside cable plant and damaged your personally owned router, request a service tech to come out and replace the grounding block which is outside where the cable enters your home. Indoor access to your home is not required.

This discussion has been closed.