**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Internet keeps dropping (1:23 every day). Techs have come, changed cables and modem. At my wits end!

tanda0901tanda0901 Posts: 7 ✭✭
in Connectivity Feb 10, 2021

I have had Spectrum since moving into the complex where I live in late 2019. Over the last few months we have had issues with the internet intermittently dropping and reconnecting within a couple of minutes. I replaced the modem with a change out at the Spectrum store and that did not help. A tech came to visit and stated he found a bad amplifier on the end of the building that needed to be replaced. Now after another tech visit last week (2/3/2021) with another cable and modem change out we are still losing service. On 2/3 after the tech came lost it for 6 minutes, then the last three days it has dropped every day at 1:23 EST. and stays out two to three minutes. Although the home is less than 1500 square feet I have placed a WiFi extender in the home and still have these issues. Has anyone tried another modem that is not provided by Spectrum or had any luck solving the same issue?

Best Answer

• tanda0901tanda0901 Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Feb 17, 2021 Accepted Answer

Julia,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. My wife and I rearranged and moved the modem from the wall it was near to another location. So far, after 6 days no dropping at all. Hope I don’t jinx myself by writing this.

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,603 Lead Mod
    Feb 11, 2021

The thing that seems especially odd is that it is dropping at the same time every day. What environmentally happens at that time?

Are you seeing wired and wireless devices drop? Do the lights on the modem change? If you do not currently have anything hardwired that would be what I would suggest trying next to see if that drops as well. When you login to the modem are you seeing an issue with the modem logs or the FEC data?

Julia_R

edited February 11 Feb 11, 2021

I have WiFi devices as well as the Apple+ cable box (which is hooked to the modem with an Ethernet cable). When it reconnects I have to go turn the TV off because the Apple remote also turns the TV off and on. As I am typing this it has done it again for the 4th day in a row. It drops all the devices, WiFi and hard wired.

Feb 11, 2021

All at the same time. That is the really odd part. Is there anything that you can think of around you that happens on or about that time daily? Do lights flicker, are you near a air port? Anything you can think of that may give a clue as to why this is happening. What happens to the modem lights when this happens?

Julia_R

Feb 11, 2021

Nothing is happening. My wife and I are both working from home, there is nothing else going on. It is just so frustrating that it happens everyday. Ivan understand losing if for power surges, storms, etc. but I have been told amp was bad and was affecting the signal, next tech says no, it’s the modem. They replace it with the same type modem. It doesn’t surprise me as I saw one of the agents at Spectrum toss a returned modem about ten feet into a bin sitting behind him. I don’t have any options where I live other than Spectrum.

Feb 11, 2021

I have only ever seen drops at a specific time of day when there have been outside influences. For instance, one persons neighbor came home every day right around 5 and it turned out (somehow) that the garage door opener was interfering with the WIFI, knocking all WiFi devices offline. Im not really sure quite how the mechanics of that worked but in the end having the neighbor set the opener and remote to an alternate channel did the trick. That is partly why I wanted to find out if it happened wireless and hardwired.

Does the modem reboot? Do you see the lights all go out and then come back in? Being in a complex there may be something going on daily at that time. Can you check with your maintenance /management group to inquire?

Julia_R

Feb 11, 2021

It doesn’t always reboot the modem. I will ask the manager if they are doing something around that time if day.

Feb 11, 2021

As I sit here thinking about this... Is your modem up against an outside wall with a electric meter?

That is another time that I remember causing this. They now send signals from those so the readers don't have to do so much to get the readings.

Things near the modem, on the other side of the modem, behind the wall, if there is a large batch of electrical feeding up through there to other apartments. Anything that runs on a schedule.

Julia_R

Feb 11, 2021

i have not moved the modem, although I did think about doing that. It is currently sitting next to a wall that is interior to the apartment next door. 8 can see if I can get some longer cables and move it away from that wall.

Feb 11, 2021

If you are at all friendly with them you might ask what they have up against that wall.

It would be interesting if nothing else. If there is nothing electrical it may be something in the wall.

Are there a lot of apartments above you?

There are some health devices that also transmit info now also, most I would think would be set to a schedule.

There is a growing list of things transmitting that were not an issue before.

Julia_R

Feb 11, 2021

Thanks. I will see what I can do. I will let you know,

Feb 17, 2021

Excellent to hear.

Let us know how it goes!

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.