Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

I Keep Getting 'Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution'

Bruce_HBruce_H Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
edited February 18 in TV Equipment Feb 11, 2021

I have a new Samsung Smart TV. The spectrum boxes that I've had (the Worldbox and the current one that displays the date or time on front) always display that annoying box with the question above. as soon as you turn on the TV.... I've tried following all the workarounds and they don't work. I'm starting to think that it might be smart TV specific (i.e., brands) as my Sony Bravia Smart TV in the living room does not have this issue. What's going on? I"m assuming that this is a software bug that needs to be corrected. I consider myself to be a highly intelligent guy who can follow and maneuver thru all the setup steps. When you click on to upgrade to the higher resolution, there is no confirmation that it's been saved! So, everytime, you have to go thru this crap. So, when you turn on the TV, it's always back to 720p instead of it SAVING at 1080p. Is this so tough to correct??? Is it TV specific?

Does anyone from Spectrum have an answer. I am SURE that I'm not the only one. who is experiencing this! When I call Spectrum tech support, they are like, "duh?" I don't know. Come on!

Thank you.

Accepted Answers

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 284 MOD
    Feb 12, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hello @Bruce_H and welcome to the forums! This is the first I have heard of this.

Have you checked to see how the resolution is set on your TV? I would also check the HDMI cable you're using and if possible replace it to see if that helps.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

• Bruce_HBruce_H Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Feb 16, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hi. Thanks for your input.

Earlier today, I saved it on 720p and then resaved it to 1080p. Then I did a cold reboot of the box. NADA.

I had a thought, so I called Samsung's tech support. The woman said that there was probably a disconnect (no sure of the actual word) between what the box was reading and what the TV was sending (or something like that). She did, however, suggest that I should get a new HDMI 2.1 cable and that could resolve the problem. So, I ordered one from Amazon and should get it in a couple of days. Let's keep our fingers crossed. She did indicate that she's heard of this before.

I did find it odd that the Samsung TV had this problem and my Sony Bravia Smart TV in the living room didn't have it. There are no settings in the Samsung TV to "upscale" the aspect ratio or resolution. By default, it can accomodate more than 1080p, so I guess it relies on the cable box to accommodate such.

By the way, the boxes with the time/channel display are really great! I actually do see a slightly improved picture.

Will let you know once I attach the new HDMI 2.1.

Replies

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,546 Lead Mod
    Feb 12, 2021

Good morning. This is not something I have run into except here in the community. I've been with the company more than a decade. I suspect, as do you, that it is TV specific. You have tried multiple boxes, tried work arounds and, I will assume, a new HDMI cable. If none of this has worked we would have to conclude it is

TV specific. I would encourage you to contact the manufacturer to see what can be done, perhaps this is a defect with that model. They may have a forum you can ask this of other owners of that model. Please let us know what they say.

Julia_R

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,972 helper
    edited February 16 Feb 16, 2021

I have heard of this issue in the community in isolated cases, and on another Spectrum forum, but only on some Spectrum (No Clock) World Boxes. Have never seen this issue on any clock box. And Bruce, you said you tried the change to a lower resolution, and than go back and change to a higher resolution? This was the bug fix for World Box. But I have never seen this on a clock box.

I would second Julia's and Paul's advice..First try a cold reboot of the box, than a new HDMI cable. I would make sure it's new, and get a nice one, they run about $20-$25. You won't need to spend more than that. Good luck!

Satch

Feb 16, 2021

Also: My Samsung TV is definitely able to accomodate the highest resolution, 1080P, as when I manually go in to the settings in the cable box and change to 1080P, it takes. It's just when you turn off everything and then go back in later, you get the message and you have to upgrade to the higher resolution, etc. Each time.

Hopefully the HDMI 2.1 cable will resolve this.

Feb 17, 2021

Just to let everyone know, the new high speed cable came today and NOTHING. It's still a problem. The problem lies when you turn off the TV itself. After 30 seconds, you have to answer the pop up window in the screen coming from the box to upgrade to higher/better resolution. We can land a rover on Mars, but this cannot be resolved. I'm totally disgusted. Verizon it is.

edited February 17 Feb 17, 2021

Bruce,

For our reference, what is the model of your Samsung TV that is doing this? This should seem like an easy fix.. Do you only have this problem on the World Box?

Satch

Feb 17, 2021

Hi Satch. it's the Q60T. I did speak to a tech person at the Spectrum 1-800 number. Ironically, she has the same issue! and she has a Samsung. It's highly ironic that Samsung comprises of about 80% of TV sales in the USA and I'll be that many Samsung users are experiencing this and are scratching their heads. She admitted that it sounds like a software glitch and an update is needed. Again, the problem isn't that the Spectrum box cannot read the resolution. It can, because it gives me a window saying that a higher resolution for the TV is there. IT'S JUST THAT WHEN YOU CLICK ON "CONTINUE" IT DOESN'T SAVE! That's the problem. So, that's that, I guess.

I don't have the world box, although when I did, I had the problem also. I just has them swapped out for those with the time/date on the front.

Thanks.

edited February 17 Feb 17, 2021

Thanks Bruce!

I believe that since this issue occurs on both the Clock Boxes and World Boxes- "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution" that is is a Spectrum Bug. Sounds like you have the ODN cable Guide and you also have at one time had the World Box with Spectrum Guide. The model of the TV is the Q60T. made by Samsung, so I would say that that our forum leaders, @James_M and/or @Julia_R should submit a feedback ticket on this issue.

To double check your guide version, Google Search, "What Guide do I have" , Spectrum and enter your street address and post a screenshot so we know for sure. Just want to make sure it's the ODN guide that is on your clock box. Now that we have the model of the Samsung TV doing this (Q60T.) this helps a lot! You have checked resolution settings, tried a new HDMI cable. Spectrum needs to make the "Your TV supports a higher resolution" message go away with a software update:

I am also a power user over at DSL Reports, Spectrum forum, which is LOADED with tech people. I am going to provide the link to the topic that I created over there, to get the word out about this issue:

One person has asked: "Is the "Input Signal Plus setting enabled in the HDMI settings menu of the TV?"

Feel free to follow along!

Satch

Feb 17, 2021

I took a snapshot of my guide: hope that helps you. And, yes: I did enhance the HDMI port of the setup. I did everything I possibly could.

edited February 18 Feb 17, 2021

Hi Bruce,

Can you get a tech out to show him this, and he can find out what is going on? Ask him to escalate this issue.

Satch

edited February 18 Feb 18, 2021

Bruce,

Another thing, is that years ago when we had an issue with a HDMI handshaking issue, a relative of ours came out and updated the firmware for our TV by downloading the software to a flash drive, and that resolved the problem. If you are tech savvy, you might want to consider doing this.

Another thing is that if there is a way to re-program your remote, so that the TV is turned on LAST, that can sometimes resolve issues.

Or, and this is the stupid cop-out opt out. just use the Power button to turn the TV off and leaving the box turned on. I know...I know.

This is a Spectrum Guide bug with this TV set model, I am sure. Just throwing out all ideas here. Try the tech visit, it can't hurt, and gets this reported.

Satch

Feb 18, 2021

Hi Satch.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will tell you that I will not have a technician in my house, given with COVID concerns and all, if there is no emergency. And, I'm sure that many people feel the same way. Technicians have been here in the past and I spray down the entire apartment like a crazy person after they leave. lol. So, I"m sure you understand.

I did try leaving the box on and just using the TV power button on the remote, but nothing. I tried choosing different resolutions and then changing back, and then rebooting, and nothing. Trust me, I'm retired, so I have the time to try all these possibilities.

Reprogramming the remote? I'm not sure if the tech people @ the spectrum 1-800 number would know how to do that. At this point, I have little confidence in anyone regarding this entire situation.

After speaking to someone the other day from Spectrum who has the SAME problem as I, I probably will just wait until the year 2030 when Spectrum sends out a software update that might address this. You know, if my monthly spectrum costs were very little, I'd just live with it. But, I pay premium $$ for monthly service, and you know, it doesn't' cut it. It's the principle, I guess.

Thank you, Satch, for your efforts. Stay safe.

• ddeerrffddeerrff Posts: 152 ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 18, 2021

If the problem re-occurs just by turning the TV off and then back on (leaving the STB on), it really sounds to me like a TV problem. Have you tried to contact your vendor or Samsung support? I just got a Q80T, and you can do a firmware update directly from the sets menus - is that the same on the Q60T?

• PhilbPhilb Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Feb 20, 2021

I had the same issue, try turning off the cable box and tv and unplugging both. Also unplug the HDMI cable. Plug in the cable box and tv first, then the HDMI cable last. This worked for me. It seems to be a handshake issue.

Feb 20, 2021

Hi. thanks for your suggestion. I remember reading it on another thread and I tried it. It didn't work, unfortunately. However, when I spoke to a tech support person at Spectrum 1-800, she had the same issue as I! A couple of days ago, I also managed to speak to a higher level IT person @ Spectrum. She said that the department is aware of the issue and that there are some models/TV brands where this issue is affecting them. It might be the lower end models of certain smart TVs. She wasn't sure of when a fix will be forthcoming, so I just have to eat it for now. It's ironic how this mostly affects Samsung TVs, given that Samsung TVs are in about 80% of all USA households. DUH! lol.

Thanks and be well.

edited February 21 Feb 21, 2021

Bruce,

How much did you pay for the TV with "High Resolution Error Message?" At least they know of the bug. I guess the question is what to do to help make sure that a customer does not get stuck with a set that has this message? We know that it is NOT all Samsung Smart TV's as Samsung sets are in about 80% of all households.

It would be nice to know what models are affected? This would be a time where many of us would love to speak to the guide development team on this bug?

Satch