Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

210 DVR sometimes records SD instead of HD

tforkeytforkey Posts: 4 ✭✭
in TV Equipment Feb 11, 2021

This happens usually on theCW. The guide will show the red dot indicating recording on the HD channel, but the SD channel will record instead or both HD and SD will record. DVR is only at 50% storage.

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 286 MOD
    Feb 12, 2021

Hello @tforkey! and welcome to the forums!

Do you know if the program that you're recording is playing in HD? When a program is being broadcast in standard definition it would also record that way. What trouble shooting steps have you taken to try to resolve this issue?

• tforkeytforkey Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Feb 12, 2021

Yes this happens often with shows on the CW network which is available in HD where I am. The shows are in HD if I watch live, but often do not record in HD. The CW network is also available in SD, but I have auto tune to HD on. I also check the Spectrum guide to make sure the shows in question on the guide for the HD channels have the red recording indicators.

Still sometimes the SD version only is recorded or both HD and SD versions are recorded.

Sometimes I'll be on the guide, highlight a show on an HD channel, press Record, select Record Series, then when I press enter, the confirmation comes up with the non-HD channel number.

Feb 13, 2021

Good morning!

Have you tried to restart the box at all by unplugging it and plugging it back in? If not, I would recommend tryin that to see if that changes anything.

Feb 13, 2021

Tried multiple times. Had Tech support send refresh to my box. No change. I noticed that the channel in question 711 (CW network) does not show in the Spectrum guide when "Show HD Only" option is selected, even though it is an HD channel. Also when I enter the SD channel's number "11" the box doesn't autotune to the HD "711". The other channels do change to HD. This leads me to think there's a problem in the system configuration where 711 is not on the HD list but should be.

Feb 13, 2021

This is the first I have heard of this. I am wondering if there might be something going on with the box itself. Have you considered possible swapping the box to see if that changes anything?

Feb 14, 2021

Looks to me like a system issue. Not sure I want the hassle of a new box for nothing. Would all my recordings be gone if I got a new box?

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,991 helper
    edited February 14 Feb 14, 2021

Yes,

Recordings would be gone with a new box. I think this is a Guide Data Listing issue. Gracenote does the listing data for Spectrum and other companies. See my thread about how to report guide listing errors here:

I don't recommend box swaps unless there are proven box issues and signal/drop line tests have been done. New boxes won't solve listing errors. I would report this problem to Gracenote using the above link instead.

Satch

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,991 helper
    Feb 14, 2021

The other interesting thing is the following:

Channel mapping has been done by Spectrum to insure that BOTH the old SD/HD channels should show HD content when tuned. The choice of HD/SD content was put on lineups about 10 years ago when people still had SD sets. But now if the channel is in HD, you get HD, even if you are on the old SD channel.

I would NOT do a box swap for one channel. You don't know what you are going to get in an exchange.

Satch