Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Android users, check Google Play subscriptions to see if charged for HBO MAX

nelsonjwnelsonjw Posts: 10 ✭✭✭
edited February 15 in Channels & Programming Feb 15, 2021

I have had Spectrum TV Silver for a little over two years. I get HBO Max access as part of this subscription. My Spectrum login (@charter.net) is the same login as used for HBO Max, as well as for the Google account that's connected to a couple phones and tablets and three Android TV devices. (This is not, however, my primary Google account; the phones have multiple Google accounts linked.)

This morning I received an email that my payment through Google Play had processed for HBO Max, on the email address used for Spectrum, HBO Max, and my Android TVs. But I never subscribed through Google Play. My Spectrum subscription is still active and I just used it a couple evenings ago. If I log in to HBO Max and go to "Account", I can see that the billing is still through Spectrum.

I assume this is an error on Google's end, but am posting it here as a public service announcement -- if you are an Android user and have HBO Max installed on your Android phone, tablet, or TV, check your Google Play subscriptions and purchase history to ensure you haven't had a subscription set up on your behalf (assuming you get your subscription through Spectrum).

Google's chat support was able to reverse the charges, but warned me that it was not a guarantee that they would be able to and they are not able to for all users. YMMV.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,644 ADMIN
    Feb 15, 2021

Hi @nelsonjw,

Since this is not a specific Spectrum issue, I'm not sure if this is the correct platform to bring attention to this issue. Nonetheless, we will leave your post up for a few days to see if the issue is also impacting others before archiving.

In addition to the steps you have already taken, I would also advise changing your account passwords.

Thanks!