Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Differing behavior of 2 Spectrum receiver models

paulm215paulm215 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Feb 15, 2021

Hello to this forum:

After recent Spectrum repairs for my cable service, I temporarily have 2 Spectrum receivers of different models.

By rule, I can only have one receiver authorized to my account, and I should return the other receiver. However, I'm having questions with differing behavior between the receivers. I want to discuss two issues, and seek advice from this forum.

(NOTE: I realize this inquiry may be related to the rollout of new software by Spectrum. Perhaps, my concern is between differing software updates for the receivers, not inherent physical differences between the receivers.)

I will use the names: old receiver and new receiver.

Old receiver = Motorola DCH3200 with 1056B01 remote.

New receiver = Arris DCX3200M-P3 with UR5U-8790L remote

Issue 1. Displaying upcoming programs.

The old receiver can display "Listings by Channel", with vertical paging by time for one channel's programs over several hours and days.

It also provides several variations of "Listings by Time", with vertical paging for channels, and slow horizontal paging for time.

The new receiver does not seem to provide the "Listings by Channel" function. It only provides the "Listings by Time" selections.

Am I missing something? Is there a "Listings by Channel" option for the new receiver that I'm not seeing?

Issue 2: Next channel is constrained by Guide selection.

With the old receiver, the channel buttons select the next or previous available channel, regardless of the Guide selection.

With the new receiver, the channel buttons are constrained by the Guide selection. If the Guide points to Favorites, then the Channel buttons advance to the next or previous Favorite, not the next or previous available channel. Similarly, if the Guide points to "All Channels", then the channel buttons advance to the next or previous available channel.

Again, am I missing something? Is there an override, so that the channel buttons disregard the Guide selection? Of course, I can use the number keys to select any channel, but I'm asking about the up/down channel buttons.

Thank you for your help.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 3,991 helper
    Feb 15, 2021

Hello,

Welcome to our community!

Can you provide screenshots of your two guides that illustrate what you are saying above? It will make it much easier for us to provide feedback and talk about comparisons and contrasts between the two softwares?

Satch

Feb 16, 2021

I can confirm one answer to these questions,

You can have two guide platforms (softwares) on the same account. 2 boxes or 2 DVR's is common with two TV's or more, and they can run different guides.

In the past, it was recommended that the now defumct former TWC Whole House DVR had the same guide and box platforms for things like the old Signature Home package.

Satch

• paulm215paulm215 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Feb 16, 2021

Thank you for your responses.

I have prepared 3 screenshots, to illustrate my earlier note.

I don't know the preferred method to attach the screenshots to this note. I see tokens to upload image, insert media, and upload file. These are 3 .jpg files, each about 1.MB, located in one folder. Please advise how to load the screenshots for this note.

To clarify my situation, I have one TV, and one Spectrum account. Recently, my cable had an outage, and my earliest repair appointment was 8 days. During that time, I watched some channels over the air, with an antenna. On a hunch, I visited my nearby Spectrum store, and the associate gave me a new receiver, just to experiment, while I waited for the repair technician. Eventually, the technician diagnosed and repaired my problem as a damaged cable in another apartment, where the damaged cable was feeding my cable in my apartment.

Now, I have a good cable, and the old receiver and the new receiver. The new receiver is assigned to my account, and is the only receiver that will actually deliver programs. If the old receiver is connected, it can present listings, but can not deliver programs (channels are "not authorized").

If I wanted, I could probably return the new receiver, and have the old receiver re-assigned to my account. However, the sound volume is much better on the new receiver, so I will probably keep it. I'm just trying to learn if certain features are available for the new receiver.

Thank you very much.

edited February 16 Feb 16, 2021

Thanks1

If they are jpegs, those are considered images, So I would use "Upload Image." Helpful that you clarified that one box was not authorized. When we see the images, it will be easier to discuss what option is best for you!

If you upload several images at once, they may not be viewable immediately, but may be held in the forum query until a mod approves them. This is a spam guard feature of the new forum.

Satch

Feb 16, 2021

Listings by Channel--old receiver

Listings by Time--old receiver

Listings by Time--new receiver

edited February 16 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you, Satch.

I have uploaded my 3 images.

What is missing would be "Listings by Channel for the new receiver":

Select channel 7, and list all the programs scheduled for channel 7 during the next few hours..

Scroll up or down, and advance or recede the viewed times and programs.

edited February 17 Feb 17, 2021

Thank You!

OK, you are in a Spectrum market the runs the older I-Guide on some older boxes and the newer guide called ODN on other boxes. I don't think you can do a "Listings by Channel" on the newer ODN guide. However, if you press Settings on your remote control that runs your newer box you will see something that says (I think) "Auto Search." If you have that turned on you can go to any listing in the guide and by pressing B, it will give you a listing of all the times and channels that are forthcoming for that show..

You can also take action on a show in the ODN guide and press "Select" from the Time Grid Cell, and than press "Episodes: for a series or "More information" for more details about the program,

I don't think there is a way to isolate all programs to a specific channel search in ODN.

In ODN to see what is coming up throughout the day, you would have to select the highlighted cell for that channel and scroll left. To power scroll up to two weeks ahead, hold down the right arrow button while on the channel cell in the ODN time grid. It is a matter of getting used to a left-right scroll of what is coming up, rather than an up/down scroll, if you sort listings by channel in I-Guide. Note that new boxes, or recently booted boxes, may not advance a full two weeks, as data needs time to get downloaded from the server.

In ODN, you can press the Guide button twice when in the Time Grid and select options:

All Channels (default)

On Demand

Favorites (Requires making a favorites list.)

Subscribed. (Only show subscribed channels in your package.) I love this setting!

Maybe the closest thing to what you want, might be to make a Favorites list for your ODN box, if you keep your ODN box:

To make a Favorites List in ODN:

Press Settings

In Quick Settings, horizontal scroll to Favorites

You can either enter the channel numerically or scroll using the page up/down to get to the channel you want to make a Favorite. When you press Select, a star appears next to the channel, Than just keep repeating the process to enter the next channels that you want to make Favorites. I have 19 channels set this way. Press Save when done.

Now when you press the guide button twice, and select the Favorites filter, you will only see the channels that you made as Favorites. Keeping this Favorites filter and right-scrolling might make it easier for you to see upcoming shows on your favorite stations, without all the added clutter.

Important- Remember that if you press FAV on your remote, when the Time Grid shows, in ODN it tunes to the next favorite channel in the list. When you press FAV without the guide showing, it tunes to the channel itself.

It is too hard to say what is better, as this is a matter of personal preference. ODN is newer and is more likely to get updates. I-Guide is older, and is less likely to get updates. Over the coming months and years, the ODN boxes are planned to get converted to the new Spectrum Guide, which is Spectrum's newest guide platform.

There are some things on ODN that people like better, There are some things on I-Guide that people like better. If you can handle the added fee that you will be charged for a second box, I would say, keep both. But if you don't want the added box fee, and you REALLY, REALLY love the channel sorting feature of I-Guide, keep your I-Guide box,

Two more important notes:

1.) No tech is going to be able to change the software functionality on any box. They can only check lines, signals, and swap out boxes. You never know the quality or condition or type of box that he is going to have on his truck, so if your boxes are working, hold on to them for as long as you can.

2.) Remember I-Guide is a dated guide on an older box, as years go by, the boxes are either going to be the new ODN models, Or the new World Boxes (no clocks) that run Spectrum Guide.

Let us know if you are going to keep both boxes, or which box you are going to keep.

Satch

edited February 19 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you, Satch, for your informative responses of Feb. 16-17.

I especially welcomed your advice for power scroll, which I had not previously realized. The power scroll is very useful for seeing a week's worth of programs, without using 336 half-hour clicks.

edited February 20 Feb 20, 2021

Helpful Tip,

In the ODN guide, power scroll can be applied by holding down any of the arrow keys or Page Up/Down. Left-arrow goes back I think two hours, but not sure.

If your remote has Day buttons, you can use the + sign to advance the day. You can also press the number of days you want to advance by opening the guide, press the number of days you want to advance, followed by the right-arrow key. Fastest way out from the guide in my view is to press EXIT.

Satch