Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Smart TV and XBox can't find WiFi anymore

MatiaMatia Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 1 in Connectivity Mar 01, 2021

Our Smart TV and XBox both stopped finding our WiFi name (both 2.5, 5 and our extenders). I set up a hotspot on my phone and both of those devices find that hotspot no problem. I have two laptops that can still find and connect fine and our computer, which is connected through Ethernet, connects fine. Any ideas as to why certain devices won't find our WiFi?

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,753 ADMIN
    Mar 02, 2021

Hi!

Have you tried restarting the modem?

• MatiaMatia Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Mar 03, 2021

Multiple times. No difference.

Mar 03, 2021

Thanks, what is the brand and model of the TV?

Mar 04, 2021

Samsung un55nu6900

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    Mar 04, 2021

Are you using a router connected to the modem or an all in one?

What type of router, if you are using a separate piece of equipment? In some cases

doing a factory reset of the router and then setting things back up does the trick.

Julia_R

Mar 04, 2021

We have two devices. Our modem is Arris brand. Is a factory reset any different than just unplugging the router for 60 seconds? I'm actually wondering if our TV/xBox could be blacklisted from our router/modem? Is that even possible? Like I said earlier, they both pick up my mobile hotpot from my phone just fine.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    Mar 04, 2021

What kind of router do you have? If the modem is connected to a router we dont need to do a

factory reset on that. A factory reset usually has to be done via a pin hole button on the device.

Press and hold for 30 seconds. In this case you dont want to do that to the modem.

If you will unplug the power to the modem and the router. First plug in the modem. Let it completely reboot.

After the modem finishes, plug the router back in and let it reboot. If you still dont see the wifi on those devices you may want to factory reset the router. Is this a Spectrum router or one you own?

What make/model is it? Do your other devices see two different networks (ssid) ? 2.4 GHz and 5GHz?

Julia_R

Mar 09, 2021

Sorry, I did not get a notification of your response! I'll try the reboots. The router is ours, it's Netgear, the modem is Spectrum's. Our laptops and phones can find both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Mar 09, 2021

Thanks! Let us know if the issue continues after the modem is rebooted.

This discussion has been closed.