Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Question About Sequence of Steps When Replacing a Modem

kc27kc27 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Mar 01, 2021

Is this the proper sequence to install a new modem? I tried installing a Netgear CM600, but the modem never gets to step 5. Should I call Spectrum to provide them with the modem's MAC address before I power up the new modem?

1. Connect coaxial cable to modem
  2. Connect ethernet cable to modem and a powered down PC
  3. Power up computer.
  4. Power up Modem
  5. Wait for the cable modem to come online
  6. Call Spectrum to have modem provisioned
Tagged:

Best Answer

• kc27kc27 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    edited March 6 Mar 06, 2021 Accepted Answer

Thanks, I got the CM600 modem on-line. Those directions in my first post are from the Netgear manual, and I found that step 5 does not apply with Spectrum. On the Netgear CM600 modem, there is an "internet" indicator light that will be solid green when the modem is online. That light is never going to turn solid green until the modem is activated. For me the correct order was

Perform steps 1 through 3 as in the first post, then:

4) Power up the modem

5) Call Spectrum to have modem provisioned

6) Wait for the cable modem to come online ( it went online almost instantaneously)

Thanks for the quick reply on this.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,753 ADMIN
    Mar 02, 2021

Hi and welcome!

Based on your registration information, I was abel to locate your account and it appears that you have the Netgear modem active. If you still need assistance, please let us know.

• kc27kc27 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    edited March 6 Mar 06, 2021

I still need assistance.

I do have a Netgear modem active. I want to replace it with a different Netgear modem.

Are the steps I outlined in my first post correct?

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 305 MOD
    Mar 06, 2021

Thank you for reaching out to us. The steps that you have outlined above are the correct steps. One other thing you can try instead of calling to activate the modem is to try to see if the self activation will work for you. Please go to https://activate.spectrum.net and go through the steps outlined there.

If you should have any other questions, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.