Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Brand new service, intermittent lag issues, massive packet loss

cbarnes1981cbarnes1981 Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 10 in Connectivity Mar 05, 2021

My zip code is 33884, my internet package is ultra, my network setup consists of the modem from Spectrum (Hitron EN2251) and a Google WiFi router but while doing these tests I was plugged directly into the modem with a brand new cat5 ethernet cable. I am not sure how to access the modem logs as it seems I can't directly connect to the modem like I could with a router.

I just switched from Frontier to Spectrum because of a price increase on Frontier's end and I saw that I could get a better package from Spectrum so we canceled Frontier and got the self-install kit from Spectrum 4 days ago. I installed it on the same day and it went smoothly. The problem started when my kids let me know they were unable to use discord (VoIP app) and were having issues with pings on games and while doing their schoolwork as they are home-schooled.

I work from home and started noticing intermittent issues with connectivity and lag myself so I started doing some investigating. Here is a speed test result, which is fine except for the upload speed in my opinion:

and here is the result of PingPlotter using the target of google.com:

I have called tech support and they told me there is nothing wrong from their end, and from what I can read online that is pretty typical. I am just wondering if there is anything else I can do from my end to try and resolve the issue because this is a dealbreaker for me. If my kids can't use the internet without constant connection drops and I am getting this amount of packet loss while being directly connected to the modem than there is an issue. I have already swapped out the router twice to make sure it wasn't faulty equipment.

Replies

• cbarnes1981cbarnes1981 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Mar 05, 2021

and I just got a text from spectrum that my services have been restored, but they have not. Here is another PingPlotter graphic for discord.com:

and here is a snip of just a simple ping to discord.com:

Mar 06, 2021

Tech just showed up and changed the line from the pole to the house, replaced the ground block and said he couldn't see anything on his end. I came in after the service was hooked back up and it was working perfectly.

20 minutes later I am having the same issue. From what I have read of other peoples issues I think it might be a problem at the node. I will call again and try to get them to escalate the issue.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 305 MOD
    Mar 06, 2021

Hello @cbarnes1981 and welcome to the forums!

I am sorry to hear you are having so many issues with your connection. We can help you from here. I am going to send you a private message requesting some information so we can get started on troubleshooting this issue with you.

We look forward to working with you to try to find a resolution.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 06, 2021

@cbarnes1981 Just a reference for the future discussions: Spectrum's Ultra internet service offering currently is 400 Mbps download, 20 Mbps upload, using the Ookla testing package provided by Spectrum. The screen capture of your own unlabeled measurement showed 414 down and 21 up, which is right in line with the package offering.

Line 10 of your first PingPlotter graphic is the last Spectrum device on that connection; everything below line 10 is inside Google.. Spectrum does not guarantee performance to points on the internet, which are beyond their network IXP locations and utilize equipment owned and maintained by others.

The 91% packet loss shown on line 1 of that report is the link between your router's WAN port and the Spectrum Hitron modem. That would be the first place to start your troubleshooting efforts.

edited March 6 Mar 06, 2021

@karlbeckman i understand about the 20mbp/s up, was just stating that i think 20 mbp/s upstream is low and even if i went with the gig package it only goes to 40mbp/s up.

I also understand after line 10 isn't spectrums responsibility, but as you can see in this graphic, it's not just an issue with everything after the 10th hop:

The funny thing is, usually when it shows 100% packet loss from the modem which is blocking icmp packets, I get zero packet loss, but right now using this website is about the extent of what I can do. Netflix, YouTube, etc, isn't working.

That big red bar at the bottom is the intermittent issues I am experiencing, and this is directly connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.

I thought it was the router at first so I swapped out the Linksys router that I had with a Google WiFi router and still saw the same issue which is why I started testing while directly connected to the modem. I was told it was a brand new modem but it could be faulty and if that is the issue that would be great because it's an easy fix.

We had zero issues with Frontier besides their price increase and nothing has changed except the service. I would like to stay with Spectrum but as I work from home and my children are homeschooled and need a stable internet connection to do their schoolwork, game, etc, if we can't get this working then I will have to find another service.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 32 MOD
    Mar 08, 2021

Thank you for the update @cbarnes1981 . I just private messaged you through Community_Help since we were getting into specifics into your account and potential escalations. Will be glad to continue to help there but by all means, with information that isn't giving away account info, feel free to post constructive updates here for the benefit of the community.

Thanks and look forward to your reply to my private message.

Have a good one!

Randy

This discussion has been closed.